Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

EU citizen status question

(1 Post)
Normandy144 Wed 29-Jun-16 08:36:53

I'm wondering if any other EU citizen resident in the UK can help. I'm feeling a little destabilised by the result and just want to strengthen my families position as best I can in the event that we don't accept freedom of movement (have all my fingers and toes crossed we do!)

I'm British and my partner is EU (Portuguese) and Canadian, but he's here in the UK on the strength of his EU passport and not Canadian IYSWIM. 2 kids are dual British/Canadian. We moved back to the UK 2 years ago, so that is how long my EU partner has been resident in the UK. I've been looking on line and think he needs to apply for a registration certificate, is that correct? Seems like he doesn't qualify for a permanent resident card yet because he hasn't lived here for 5 years. We own a property here. Clearly we don't know what's going to happen, but assuming article 50 is triggered in October, that means a potential exit from the EU by October 2018, which would still see him 8 months short of the minimum 5 year residency period. I'm extremely worried he won't fit the criteria. People keep telling me it will be fine but as he will have less than 5 years residency I'm understandably worried.

Anyone else in the same boat? Advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now