Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Inheritance and HMRC

(8 Posts)
Northcountrygirl16 Mon 20-Jun-16 18:25:49

Does anybody know how long HMRC take to give clearance after the sale of a property through probate?

It's way under the inheritance tax threshold so I'm not sure what they need to do but the solicitor has advised we need to wait for this before they can make payments to inheritors.

Northcountrygirl16 Tue 21-Jun-16 10:28:44

* bump*

IceMaiden73 Tue 21-Jun-16 19:25:42

Ask your solicitor

summersalmostgone Tue 21-Jun-16 20:25:16

I have, he just said it depends.

kath6144 Wed 22-Jun-16 17:41:28

Op I am executor for my mums estate, we are within a week or so of completing on her house sale and I have not heard of having to contact HMRC?

We have probate, well within inheritence tax limit, as far as I am concerned that is it. The probate paperwork said we would need to contact them again if the figures changed, but they havent. Our conveyancer has the grant and mine and my brothers bank details to split the proceeds. No mention of HMRC!!

Is your solicitor the executor? I can understand having to give HMRC the final sale figure if inheritance tax is payable, but not if you are within the limit.

Kwirrell Wed 22-Jun-16 19:36:59

We are selling my mums house after probate. Could you explain what you mean HMRC clearance.

summersalmostgone Wed 22-Jun-16 20:16:50

Solicitor is the executor yes. All I know is that they need HMRC clearance for the administrative period. Which I took to mean confirmation that no inheritance tax is due.

The estate is well under the threshold.

I'm not in direct contact with the solicitor so can't ask for clarification. I'd just like to know whether they are likely to take 2 weeks or 2 months.

kath6144 Wed 22-Jun-16 21:39:17

I think whoever does have contact with the solicitor should go back and query what s/he means? Maybe a solicitor acting as an executor can give you some advise on here? You really need to understand what 'clearance' is on an estate below IHT threshold.

All I know, is that I have not been told to contact HMRC again, as we have probate and are well within the IHT threshold.

Has the estate actually been granted probate yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now