Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Grandparents Rights

(5 Posts)
chickettychick Sat 18-Jun-16 09:30:26

Me and DP have gone NC with DPs father.
He is a vile, manipulative man with sociopathic tendencies. I won't go into detail about him as will be very outing! But he just is one of the most disgusting human beings I've ever met.
He hasn't made any attempt to contact us either to ask about our DS despite telling family friends and relatives how much he loves him etc etc.
I've been warned by a family member that he might try and go to court to get access to DS and it's making me really distressed.
I have said I will only ever feel comfortable if he has supervised access (and even then it makes me feel sick the thought of him being able to hold and talk to DS).

What rights does he have and ultimately as DS parents what rights do we have? I thought that if we decided we didn't want DS to see anyone then that's he final decision.

HooseRice Sat 18-Jun-16 09:33:20

Grandparents have no rights wrt access to grandchildren thank fuck.

OneLongDay Sat 18-Jun-16 09:38:20

He would only be able to make an application to the court if he can prove that he was a constant figure in your DS life for example he did child care for 3 days a week every week for a year so in that case it would be upsetting for he child for contact to suddenly be stopped but they have zero rights so I wouldn't worry to much

Fourormore Sat 18-Jun-16 13:53:43

Grandparents don't have rights but then neither do parents as such. It is the child's right to have a relationship with members of their family. He can apply to court for contact but would need to gain permission to apply first. It isn't unheard of but I wouldn't worry about it until you actually receive any paperwork.

chickettychick Sat 18-Jun-16 20:09:16

We lived with this man but he did absolutely no child care! Even when we were horribly poorly with the flu!
I'm so scared. He is the type to go through the courts just to try and make problems for us

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now