Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

invasion of privacy - what can be done

(9 Posts)
pouncehill Mon 30-May-16 09:04:22

To cut a long story short. DPs father is trying his hardest to prove to police that his son is depressed so that they can get him "done" for something he actually hasn't done.
DPs sister actually did this "thing" and as his father would prefer to protect his sister he's trying to blame DP. (Much more too it but can't go into detail).

Police agree that DPs father is manipulative etc etc
They told DP yesterday that his father went through all of our belongings (whilst we were living with him) and found letters that we had wrote to each other that some how proved DP was depressed.
I feel sick that this man has been going through our stuff and read personal things of ours.
Is there anything we can do legally about this?

RaspberryOverload Mon 30-May-16 11:59:34

I can't comment on the legal side, but surely only a doctor can say whether your DP was depressed.

That the police have agreed your DP's dad is manipulative means he's unlikely to get far. He'd need more evidence than your DP having depression, I'd have thought.

Are you still living with him? If you're not still there, there's not a lot he can do now, and in any case, proving depression wouldn't prove your DP had committed any wrong doing.

pouncehill Mon 30-May-16 12:46:41

The thing is my DP has been diagnosed with depression. His mum died suddenly last year and it really affected him.
We don't know why his dad is trying to prove it further. But the fact he actually went through our things and read letters (which were always in envelopes) is just plain wrong!

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 30-May-16 12:49:44

Realistically, unless you've got a fair bit of money to put behind this, there's not much you can do unfortunately. I've been there. It's a horrid feeling.

pouncehill Mon 30-May-16 21:12:33

If hypothetically I had a load of money (I wish). What would I be able to do legally about this? Could I take him to court?
Tbh I'm really considering filing for a restraining order

sixinabed Mon 30-May-16 21:20:14

How fucked up is his dad?!?! Nothing helpful to say but I feel for you both. Is his sister keen on him taking the blame for this thing? How awful.

pouncehill Mon 30-May-16 21:52:44

His sister doesn't care one bit. As long as she's out of the lime light. Police seem to be in our favour though so hopefully we can put this all past us

AugustaFinkNottle Mon 30-May-16 23:39:51

If you're no longer living with him, I don't see the point in a restraining order.

pouncehill Tue 31-May-16 08:08:43

Augusta I know but I just want protection from him quite scared of him for various reasons

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now