Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Action against a troll

(9 Posts)
TrollsAreCunts Thu 26-May-16 20:27:42

I created an account to comment on an online article on a newspaper's website. Someone at the newspaper then gave my data to someone who could then identify me (small town, local paper) and trolled me horribly.

All comments have now been deleted after they were reported to the editor but I am furious at this data breach. Is there anything I can/should do? I'm already planning to log this with the police.

sixinabed Thu 26-May-16 21:57:26

I think that this would fall under data protection and that the data commissioners office maybe the right place to lodge a complaint. Pretty sure there are hefty penalties for such a breach of the DPA.

Sorry that happened to you.

TrollsAreCunts Thu 26-May-16 22:06:49

Thank you Six flowers it was horrible and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

RustyPaperclip Thu 26-May-16 22:13:04

In a bit of a rush but just wanted to say that you should have a look at here https://ico.org.uk you should find lots of useful information. Sorry to hear you have had a tough time, unfortunately many people do not understand data protection implications. Good luck!

TrollsAreCunts Thu 26-May-16 22:44:12

Thank you Rusty. The ICO guidance tells me I have to raise my concerns with the organisation first. I am drafting a letter according to their guidelines but I don't know whether this will just fan the flames sad. And I have to re-live all the horrible details all over again sad.

sixinabed Fri 27-May-16 13:06:47

Poor you - I'm sending you strength. They sound absolutely horrible and totally unprofessional. Hopefully it was the action of one individual and not corporately sanctioned, and they will sack them forthwith.

flowers

SpidersFromMars Fri 27-May-16 14:19:47

It wouldn't be action against the troll, but against the newspaper (data protection).

So sorry - this sounds so upsetting.

TrollsAreCunts Fri 27-May-16 14:32:42

Thank you, and yes, I realised afterwards that my thread title was wrong.

I'm feeling slightly better about it today, everything has been deleted and everyone who saw it has been most sympathetic.

I do want to pursue it with the newspaper, I'm just worried about potential retaliation.

TrollsAreCunts Tue 31-May-16 22:16:18

Hello everyone and thank again for your advice.

I've had a really nice relaxing weekend in the sun and feel much less shaken. Today, back at work, I took advice from our Communications Director (part of the trolls attack named my employer, my boss and talked shite about things I had apparently done at work).

I'm going to delay taking action. There's been no repeat and the newspaper have been proactive on this specific issue. Nevertheless I have a screen shot of it all and I will resurrect it if I have to. I have the offer of the full weight of our corporate lawyers behind me should I need to, so that's great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now