Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Redundancy Notice for term time workers - HR help please

(4 Posts)
AugustRose Mon 23-May-16 18:48:05

I am part of a committee for a small independent pre-school. Sadly our numbers have dwindled and we are no longer sustainable. Also, our chairperson has left and the treasurer rarely attend out meetings leaving only me to deal with this.

I am trying to work out how much notice I need to give, and how much I have to pay them for that notice. This is the situation:

There are 3 part-time staff who work only during term-time so will be paid until the 21st July (end of term) and they would normally get their holiday pay during the summer break. This is how it has always worked and was requested by them. As one of them has been their 10 years and the other two 9 years, do I need to give them 10 and 9 weeks notice respecitvely. Also if I give them notice at the end of term (they are aware that this is going on) do I have to pay them even though they wouldn't normally be paid during the holidays? Or do they get their holiday pay plus redunancy pay and nothing else?

I can do the calculation for the redundancy pay, it's just the notice period I don't understand.

Thanks

AugustRose Mon 23-May-16 18:49:05

Sorry for the spelling mistakes.

IceMaiden73 Mon 23-May-16 20:32:17

You need proper employment law advice on this

If you don't have an employment lawyer, please call ACAS

MummyBex1985 Tue 24-May-16 20:35:41

You need to follow a full and fair consultation process to avoid a claim for unfair dismissal. Are they working under a series of umbrella contracts? Are they actually employees? It's not usual to not pay for holidays - usually annual salary is balanced out and paid in equal monthly instalments over the year.

Assuming they are employees with continuous employment, they will be entitled to 9/10 weeks statutory notice, redundancy pay and accrued holiday pay.

Would really recommend you get legal advice on the procedure, though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now