Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

NSPCC Online Report Form - Not Anonymous

(4 Posts)
chazthecarp Sun 08-May-16 20:59:56

The NSPCC's online reporting tool is NOT anonymous. It records the IP address of the computer that made the report and the NSPCC can see it at the other end. They pass this data to Police, who, if deem the report is malicious, can find the house it belongs to and arrest the reporter. I thought IP addresses were classed as personal data? Don't like this at all, it takes guts to make a genuine report.

Dvallin Sun 08-May-16 21:03:30

I doubt they often chase it up.

Malicious reports devastate families though.

For as long as your children are under 18, you never again feel secure in your parenting.

They absolutely should be able to trace people making reports.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 08-May-16 21:05:05

Nothing you do on the Internet is anonymous. It can always be tracked back to an IP address (and usually a MAC address too) if someone wants it badly enough.

My understanding was that the IP address is recorded but not accessed unless the report is strongly felt to be malicious, and then it is only accessed by the police.

If you're making a genuine report, this is nothing of concern at all - although as I said, if it needs to be absolutely anonymous, I wouldn't use the Internet. Few things in the world can't be tracked these days and the Internet definitely isn't one of them.

nightpiano Sun 08-May-16 22:12:18

There's a difference between raising concerns which turn out to be unfounded and making a purely malicious report.

Having social services picking over your parenting is a terribly frightening experience. They were involved with my family after I called the police about domestic violence and, although they had no concerns in the end, they were very sniffy about me co-sleeping with my children and breastfeeding my toddler. It made me totally paranoid, and was so stressful.

Somebody who deliberately makes allegations which they know to be untrue absolutely does need to be arrested and charged!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now