Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Wills - Scottish will valid in England?

(4 Posts)
CarpeJugulum Sun 08-May-16 15:36:44

DH and I got our wills done after DS was born. We lived in Scotland at the time, and they are basically mirror wills. They list our address at the time.

We have now moved to England, but I don't know if they are still valid? FWIW all our assets are joint (barring a few hundred pounds of shares each) so would pass to each other anyway I believe?

Thanks!

cdtaylornats Mon 09-May-16 07:57:41

As I understand it they are valid - but if you have property in Scotland you might have to run through both court systems for probate.

Why not just get a solicitor to update the addresses so you have new wills with a local solicitor and peace of mind.

CarpeJugulum Mon 09-May-16 08:21:04

No property left in Scotland sadly. Elsewhere, and it is governed by statutory inheritance laws, so that's not an issue - yet!

Might speak to the solicitors who did our house purchase and just check.

Thanks!

concertplayer Thu 12-May-16 21:15:47

Friends are moving from England to Scotland and their English sols told them they
will need new wills.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now