Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Transfer of property/Mescher order

(3 Posts)
moonfacebaby Wed 20-Apr-16 09:26:25

I have a Mescher order in place - all fully agreed by the courts. My exH has just bought his own place so nothing about this existing mortgage on my house had prevented him from buying another property.

However, my solicitor (from the divorce) is pushing for me to do the transfer into my name. Obviously, I won't be paying the mortgage, but they want me to make it legal or whatever they are pushing for.

This is going to cost me £600. I have already forked out over £5000 to divorce my cheating exH & quite frankly, I'm wondering if it's completely necessary? It really feels like the solicitors are trying to squeeze every last penny out of me & id rather not keep throwing money at them.

Can I bypass this? Surely the Mescher order means that the property has been sorted anyway? Or am I being an idiot to even think of not going with this?

Legal stuff just stresses me out & im never sure of the language used, whether it's an essential procedure.....I'd really appreciate some advice off someone who understands this process....thanks

Eustace2016 Wed 20-Apr-16 09:42:33

The order might require that the property be transferred into your name. May be quote exactlyt hat part on here so we can check. If it does so it is a serious matter to breach a court order so you might have to go ahead. Also surely you want it in your name so that if you die it goes under your new will to your children not to your ex husband?

Sootica Wed 20-Apr-16 21:12:38

The order may well say that it has to be transferred into your name and he has a charge which is the usual mesher order terms.
Your solicitor is pushing because they can't close their file until it's all implemented and you need to comply with the order. You can shop around for cheaper conveyancing quotes though, doesn't have to be done through your divorce solicitor

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now