Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

How long does it take to get the decree nisi?

(13 Posts)
iamnotwhat Wed 13-Apr-16 21:38:25

Can anyone help me get my head around the divorce process?

My STBXH sat on the acknowledgment of service form for a bit (grrr), but the court must have got it around Easter. I've not heard anything since and I'm starting to feel a little concerned that he didn't sign it or is contesting it or...

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for the court to send the next forms out to the petitioner (me)?

And how long it's likely to take for the decree nisi to come through after that?

I know I must sound impatient - I guess I am! I just want to be able to move on.

runningincircles12 Thu 14-Apr-16 09:53:51

It depends on how busy the court is. If he has definitely sent back the acknowledgement of service form, I would expect the court to pass it on to you within 2-3 weeks or so, depending on how busy they are. You can call them to confirm that they have definitely received it.
You then need to complete the application in support of a decree nisi, verifying that the contents of your petition are still true. Sometimes you will get a quick response from the court- 2 weeks or so. Sometimes they will sit on it for 6 weeks. I would say chase after about 4-6 weeks of hearing nothing.
The reason why there might be delays is that the decree nisi has to be pronounced in open court. Therefore, it has to be put on a list of cases where the decree nisi is read out by the district judge. They won't be doing DN pronouncements every day, so it can take some time for your DN to be added to the list.
Then after that you need to wait for 6 weeks for the decree absolute application or ideally until you have a financial settlement agreed and the consent order sealed by the court.

Interestingly (although maybe not to most people), when the daily mail etc talk about 'Gary Lineker granted a quickie divorce- the judge took just 10 seconds to dissolve the marriage', what they are referring to is the judge reading the name out in open court and presumably some saddo journalist sitting there listening to the DN pronouncements of the day. There is no such thing as quickie divorce and it is a paper exercise. But I bet DM readers are imagining a trial of sorts with the judge finding the facts so overwhelming that it takes him just 10 seconds. Oh and of course, they fail to grasp that the DN does not actually dissolve the marriage. But that is a rant for another day....

iamnotwhat Thu 14-Apr-16 10:24:51

runningincircles12, that is great. Thank you so much for all that info.

I've misplaced my case number so I can't get an update from the court by phone, so I'm writing to them today.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.

runningincircles12 Thu 14-Apr-16 10:30:55

Good luck! Really they should be able to assist you by looking up your case number on their system if you give them your name. However, in my experience, court staff tend to be incredibly grumpy, so maybe a letter is the best way....
Or your STBXH should have the case number as presumably he still has the sealed petition. Can understand if you don't want to contact him though.

iamnotwhat Thu 14-Apr-16 10:47:20

When I phoned the court yesterday they said they couldn't give me any info as I could be anyone. I'd rather not ask H as he's quite likely to get either cross or upset, both of which I find quite difficult to deal with. So, I shall go with trusty snail mail and hopefully will find out what's going on shortly!

Thanks again

iamnotwhat Tue 19-Apr-16 13:43:22

The papers arrived and were returned to the court by return. I feel happier now I know things are moving again.

Thanks again for your help.

Familylawsolicitor Tue 19-Apr-16 14:24:03

If it's Bury St Edmunds they are processing correspondence in about 2 weeks and decree nisi applications in about 5 weeks

Not sure what the other centralised divorce centres are like at present, I suspect Bury St Edmunds is the slowest (deals with most of southeast and London)

Bury st Edmunds has an email address you can email to get an auto response as to current processing times, if your divorce is there I will post the email address for you

iamnotwhat Tue 19-Apr-16 14:38:21

Thanks so much for your message.

It's the Durham family court. They were lovely when I spoke to them at the very start, which meant a lot to me. The email progress address seems like a good idea, but I don't think we have one of those (I doubt Durham will be as busy as Bury St Edmonds, so probably don't need it quite the same).

Thanks again

iamnotwhat Tue 19-Apr-16 14:38:53

Sorry, Edmunds not Edmonds...

Le9999 Thu 21-Apr-16 21:27:12

Hi . Can anyone advise me pleas. I send form degree nisi in 5 April to the court and I don't her anything . And I call the court toady . The receptionist say for me I can't see your form in your a file.
What I have do now

Collaborate Fri 22-Apr-16 10:05:32

It depends how far behind they are in allocating post to files. ring next week and ask them that. You may have to apply again if it's been misfiled or lost.

Familylawsolicitor Fri 22-Apr-16 14:36:55

I would be surprised if it's been allocated to the file yet too as they are taking ages to deal with post. I'd try ringing again in another week and sending it all again if still not on file. It's taking about 6 weeks in total to get decree nisi date.

Izahi123 Mon 19-Sep-16 21:45:22

I applied in divorce in manchester for about now feb'16. I have applied for decree nisi in april and and due some imp work i went out of city, i missed place my papers but i again submitted after doing corrections for decree nisi in august and waiting for the reply or decree nisi pronouncement, how long is it going to take in Manchester to issue DN! I m done with all the settlement, its giving me so much headache.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now