Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

How long do I have to keep tax vouchers, building society statements etc for tax purposes?

(5 Posts)
BoGrainger Sat 05-Mar-16 11:15:13

I have looked on gov.uk and can't find the exact answer! I have tax vouchers, interest statements and pay slips going back 30 years and need to de-clutter. Hope someone can help me. Tia

Sootica Sat 05-Mar-16 11:35:21

www.gov.uk/self-employed-records/how-long-to-keep-your-records
6 yrs or to be precise 5 yrs from the 31 Jan deadline for submitting returns after the end of the tax yr

BoGrainger Sat 05-Mar-16 11:46:00

Thanks. These are for self-assessment and I saw something that said 22 months and another that said 3 years. I have decided to chuck everything from before 2010 which gives me the six years.

specialsubject Sat 05-Mar-16 13:29:34

that's the answer - just in case the revenue decide to do an investigation on you.

I work on an archive box in the loft, with a folder in for each year. One in, then the oldest one out and to the shredder.

and happy shredding by the way!

BoGrainger Sat 05-Mar-16 14:58:49

That's a good idea. I really only need one box. The study is looking awfully bare already!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now