Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Spousal rights to property???

(3 Posts)
wishicouldseethefuture Mon 22-Feb-16 20:22:19

Could anyone help with regards to clarifying the position over a spouse's rights to any interest in a property purchased after separation? Mortgage would be in sole name, deposit to come from anticipated bonus and gift from relative so none of it shared money. Current situation - renting and both working. DH self employed and not a great attitude to finances. I work part time. Majority of bills etc go from my account although some from joint account. We have two young children.

Before I make any definite decisions about how best to proceed I wanted to ascertain any rights he would have to a property if I purchased one rather than rented - whether would still be technically married albeit separated. Can anyone advise?

Fidelia Tue 23-Feb-16 06:48:11

It would form part of the marital pot, I'm afraid.

firesidechat Tue 23-Feb-16 06:53:01

A friend of ours had his house sale fall through for this very reason. The buyer was in the middle of a divorce and had to pull out of the house purchase when it was pointed out to him that his wife could include this new house in the financial arrangement.

I would wait until the divorce is finalised.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now