Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Prenup - solicitor recommendations please!

(23 Posts)
Sleeprocks Mon 15-Feb-16 11:58:59

I am looking for reasonably priced, financial numerate solicitors (two different firms - one for me, one for DP) to advise on a prenup. Location irrelevant as we can do it all on phone, email etc They must have substantial experience of different arrangements, rather than just having done one or two. I met my DP late in life and we've agreed to have a prenup as I have substantial assets, inc pensions, from working long, hard hours in unsociable jobs, incl in difficult places abroad and have been more cautious on expenditure in my younger years. He's been more of a 9 to 5'er, has spent more and saved less than me (although we are both now quite similar in approach) and seems happy to work longer in life whereas I may well not want to and may want to dip into savings/pensions earlier - I've now already downshifted to a lower paying job. We had a well thought through arrangement for the deed of trust for our house which included a mathematical formula. The solicitors we used for the purchase despite saying they were familiar with deeds of trust for non married couples, were clearly a bit phased by the document we drafted and our excel workings! Hence the search for good firms. I am an ex lawyer but not a family law one. Grateful for concrete reccs and any guidance on price, rather than discussion on the pros and cons of prenups or their enforceability.
Thanks!

Mumblechum1 Mon 15-Feb-16 16:35:53

tbh most high street solicitors won't be comfortable about dealing with you just by email & phone, so if you can give a rough idea of location I'll see whether I know anyone local to you.

TheGreatSnafu Mon 15-Feb-16 16:38:22

Yes, we had to go in. Where are you?

Sleeprocks Mon 15-Feb-16 16:58:05

Ah That's a pain as time is precious with kids and work but if we have to...Leics/Northants (I doubt there are any suitable firms there) so we can also access London and Salisbury if necessary.
I think going in is often to do the money laundering checks etc
It may be they'll accept certified copies of the key docs for the money laundering checks so worth giving reccs in other locations too.

VodkaValiumLattePlease Mon 15-Feb-16 17:00:18

Are prenumps even legally binding in the UK?

Fyaral Mon 15-Feb-16 17:02:12

Why get married? You could draw up all the legal bits you need like next of kin without the rest. Pretty sure they are unenforceable in this country.

LineyReborn Mon 15-Feb-16 17:05:29

Sorry I can't help you, OP, but watching with interest.

Sleeprocks Mon 15-Feb-16 17:15:27

As mentioned, I'm looking for reccs of firms rather than entering into the debate of merits of prenups or marriage. In circumstances like mine (where the circumstances are NOT detrimental to the children and the parties have adequate financial assets), yes prenups may be recognised by a UK court as evidence of the parties' intentions. Re why get married - there are other reasons to get married including inheritance tax, abilities for spouse to get work or residence permit overseas, situation of unmarried couples overseas (where we may move etc)
LineyReborn - I'm happy to post back for users' benefits my experiences with the firms and approx. costs if it helps other users.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 15-Feb-16 17:30:13

Whilst out of your area Stuart Ruff at Thomas Eggar has written a fair amount about pre-nups and their effectiveness in the legal press that might be somewhere to start.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 15-Feb-16 17:30:46

Meant to say I have used Stuart for other family law and have found him excellent.

TheGreatSnafu Mon 15-Feb-16 17:48:04

If you have or will have international assets (as implied in your 2nd post) you will need an International family law expert and unfortunately the price goes up exponentially.

throwingpebbles Mon 15-Feb-16 17:56:47

I can recommend Marie Lousie Hamilton at Wrigleys (Leeds). Very intelligent and lots of experience of pre nups
Happy if you want to PM me smile

TheGreatSnafu Mon 15-Feb-16 18:06:20

Sorry meant to add that we ended up using someone from Russell-Cooke. When I phoned them and explained they had someone who could help. He's gone now but just wanted to say don't overlook the bigger practices. We also had our prenups reviewed in our respective countries. Hope you find someone suitable.

LineyReborn Mon 15-Feb-16 18:20:14

Thanks, Sleeprocks. I think you are right about establishing intent, in a reasonable manner.

Although that seems easier to demonstrate in death than in divorce.

NewLife4Me Mon 15-Feb-16 18:28:09

I'm loving all the reasons to get married, except for love grin

Sleeprocks Mon 15-Feb-16 19:35:49

Thanks for the swift responses. Good point NewLife - I should have added that declaring our vows in front of friends/in public is also the other reason to get married!

Collaborate Tue 16-Feb-16 08:18:20

Cheapest way to get it done is for you both to agree that the solicitors jointly instruct a barrister to draft your agreed terms in to one prenup document. Last did one like that a number of years ago, but it saved them both a tidy sum.

specialsubject Tue 16-Feb-16 21:03:08

off topic but we got hitched for financial and legal reasons, and I hated the cringy 15 mins in the reg office.

it's just a piece of paper unconnected to what I assure you is much love. smile

Familylawsolicitor Tue 16-Feb-16 22:31:02

I would go for a decent London firm if finances can stretch to it as they will be most likely to do prenups frequently. I also agree with possibly asking for a barrister to draft.
Have a look at the top London firms in Legal 500 and Chambers directories. They will be quite happy not to see you in person as they are used to dealing and will have international experience. Band 1 top tier firms are £££££. Try band 3/band 4 firms for better value and most likely that a larger firm will have better precedents / experience. Try Russell Cooke, Mills and Reeve, Family Law in Partnership. I suspect you'll be looking at not less than £3k- 10 hrs ish work at London rates.
You may need advice in other jurisdictions if you are planning to move abroad.

AdviceChat Wed 06-Apr-16 11:52:02

Hi suggest you research firms and look at what others have to say who have used a prenup service. People are usually honest with feedback. Make sure it's valid and covers the points you need. You can work out your savings with a prenuptial agreement calculator too. Hope this helps

babybarrister Thu 07-Apr-16 13:13:53

Svedbergs also very experienced at prenups

Sleeprocks Thu 07-Apr-16 13:32:28

Thanks again for the recommendations. Wedding planning keeps being deferred due to other priorities, but will be definitely following up in the next couple of months

Want2bSupermum Thu 07-Apr-16 13:40:00

DH and I have a prenup. Assets held in UK, Canada and US. Residence at time of marriage was US. Prenup written up in U.S. as cheaper with legal opinions from UK and Canada.

UK opinion was from a barrister in Liverpool as much cheaper compared to London. All was arranged by the lawyer we used here in the US. Cost here in the US was $4500. I was getting quotes of £7-10k for a UK lawyer to do the work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now