Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Contact - What age are children's wished taken into account

(6 Posts)
wonderstuff100 Thu 11-Feb-16 20:07:06

No DV in relationship but EA on his side towards me and he assaulted myself and son once (a push) but I decided against pressing charges although it was logged.

He's inconsistent with contact, goes months without seeing DS (aged 6) and stuck to a contact agreement made in mediation for about 2 months before claiming he couldn't have him anymore. His inconsistency is why I believe DS shows no interest in seeing him and kicked up a few times when he was meant to go with him during the 2 months.

If my ex ever got his S*it together enough to take me court for contact as he's always threatening when I don't bow to his demands, what age would DS's wishes be taken into account?

starry0ne Thu 11-Feb-16 20:12:35

He has a long time yet at 6 simply because a six year old simply cannot understand the long term consequences of cutting contact...

Do you keep a record of missed contact... I was in similar in the end I wanted a court order as I knew he would give up.. Eventually he took me to court but couldn't be bothered with a court case.

wonderstuff100 Thu 11-Feb-16 20:23:24

What happened then starry0ne? Did he ask for contact then not get it?

3phase Fri 12-Feb-16 10:11:17

My DH was told 10 / 11 when he went to court but that was several years ag, I'm not sure if that is the case now.

starry0ne Fri 12-Feb-16 20:00:24

CAFCASS recommended no contact without a psychiatric assessment... He withdrew from the court case and haven't heard from him in 5 years..

It was very complicated though and he wasn't interested in his DS just a way to control me.

Worriedscaredbutstrongish Sat 13-Feb-16 22:01:12

The judge will always consider child's views if presented. No matter what age. But, as previously said it will be with caution.

Cafcass are hesitant to get involved now too. Perhaps get some books about separated parents and if he talks at school get them to write it down.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now