Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

I have bailiffs at the door about a debt that's already been paid.

(6 Posts)
willowsummers Thu 11-Feb-16 18:08:47

Sigh.

Bailiffs won't accept its already been paid despite bank statement evidence. They just keep saying I owe it.

Debt has nearly doubled: from £400 to £750.

Even if I pay it, they will keep coming back.

Can anyone help? sad

ProfYaffle Thu 11-Feb-16 18:09:52

Go to the CAB, they can help you with challenging the liability for a debt.

LineyReborn Thu 11-Feb-16 18:11:06

Refuse them entry. If they have no reason to be there and you feel intimidated, call the police. I would do that under those circumstances, especially if I had a child in the house. They could be anyone, trying to get in.

Who do they say they work for?

willowsummers Thu 11-Feb-16 18:12:44

Oh, I'm pretty sure they are legit. They aren't here now, thank God - I'd probably have paid to make them go away.

I'll try to get to the CAB, it's just pretty impossible round here to get an appointment.

PacificDogwod Thu 11-Feb-16 18:17:31

Can you contact whoever you owed the dept to so they can call off the bailiffs??
How awful for you.

YY to calling the police if you feel threatened.
You are under NO legal obligation to let them over your doorstep, although if they find entry they can take what they are allowed to to IYSWIM.

willowsummers Thu 11-Feb-16 18:26:16

Thanks smile Pacific it's council tax, but from years ago. I'm just being passed from pillar to post now. The original amount was for less than £100 hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now