Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Joint vs individual wills?

(4 Posts)
TheWatchersCouncil Thu 07-Jan-16 11:29:03

DH and I are FINALLY getting round to writing wills. We have joint assets (property and money) and individual assets (mainly personal effects).

What are the relative pros and cons of a joint will vs 2 individual wills? I feel quite strongly that the document concerns my death and that I would like to have my own individual will. But if we would be at a disadvantage by having 2 individual wills, then I might think again.

Any advice? Thank you!

mumblechum1 Thu 07-Jan-16 12:09:00

Do you mean mirror wills? I'm a will writer and most couples (but not all) tend to make mirror wills which say that the survivor of them receives everything.

Lots of couples, however, wish to make separate gifts to other people, including personal effects as you mentioned.

Others, particularly step families, make life interest trusts to ensure that the children of the first marriage aren't cut out by the surviving step parent.

So the short answer to your question is that there is no such thing as a joint will, there are always two separate documents, but that they can very easily contain different arrangements.

Please feel free to PM me if you need more info smile

TheWatchersCouncil Thu 07-Jan-16 12:27:23

Ah. OK. Wonder where DH got the notion of a joint will from then?

Will investigate and may PM you - thank you for the offer smile.

mumblechum1 Thu 07-Jan-16 13:22:18

No problem!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now