Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Declaring anti-social behaviour when selling a house

(4 Posts)
theplatenexttome Sat 02-Jan-16 22:23:12

I've combed the web on this but can't find anything concrete!

We want to sell our house in the summer, but I'm getting concerned about declaring anti-social behaviour. Over the past six months or so we've had issues with young men (late teens/early twenties) using our small close for dealing weed. They'll turn up in the same cars, park up and sit there for ages. Both us and our neighbours have witnessed suspicious behaviour indicating dealing is going on, so definitely not just personal use. They also dump large amounts of litter after their little sessions.

The men are never threatening or intimidating. They have never said a word to us or damaged any property as far as I'm aware. They are not violent.

About 3 months ago it seemed to be escalating (cars turning up more frequently, constantly parked etc) so we tried to call 101 as much as possible, and the police gave us all ASB diaries to fill out, which we did and handed back. After that, the activity decreased markedly so we thought we'd got rid of them.

Unfortunately, it seems that they're back. A car has now been parked in our close for over three weeks, and it's clearly being used as a drop off point for dealing. We've started reporting to the police again.

So - when we come to sell our house: do we declare this? I can only find stuff about anti-social neighbours online, which these guys are not. I'm not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes but equally I don't want this to jeopardise our house sale.

I'm so anxious about all of this, I hate that we're having to deal with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HortonWho Sat 02-Jan-16 22:27:32

They're not your neighbours, so no.

Honestly, everyone always makes a huge deal about declaring neighbouring disputes, but the truth is if you don't, and the new owner decides to "sue" ... What would they sue you for exactly? They would need to prove in court that not declaring it somehow cost them X amount, which is very difficult and costly even when there's a very legitimate case.

HortonWho Sat 02-Jan-16 22:28:17

Sorry, I didn't see which section this was. I'm not a solicitor, this is just my opinion.

N1cholas Sun 03-Jan-16 14:22:23

You don't have any obligation to volunteer the information, but if they specifically asked you whether there were any issues with anti-social behaviour in the area and you said no, and they bought your house and discovered they could potentially argue that this was a misrepresentation, take you to court seeking damages or the reversal of the sale, as well as the very high costs of doing so.

So, no duty to volunteer the drug dealing, but be very careful how you answer any questions a buyer raises.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now