Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Counting pregnancy related sickness as part of sickness record

(6 Posts)
Scarydinosaurs Thu 17-Dec-15 18:39:34

As link below outlines, I believed that pregnancy related illness couldn't be counted towards your total number of days sick.

Today, for the first time in four years, I've had to self certificate for two days following a stomach bug where I was vomiting, so I've had a return to work meeting where they have told me that my sickness during pregnancy (several weeks due to severe anaemia) will count as part of my whole sickness record, and if I have one more day off sick, I will be referred to the occupational health.

http://www.workingfamilies.org.uk/articles/your-rights-if-you-are-ill-during-pregnancy-or-after-maternity-leave/

There were other comments made that I found rude and offensive. Even when I questioned whether pregnancy related sickness counted towards my sickness record, I was told "we count it".

I've seen my Union, but this added to other issues at work I feel is building towards something bigger. Does anyone have any employment knowledge advice for me?

Thanks so much.

Scarydinosaurs Thu 17-Dec-15 18:40:30

My anaemia was recorded as 'pregnancy related' and given the proper name of the type of anaemia caused by pregnancy.

FindingNormal Thu 17-Dec-15 18:44:43

Don't see Occ health as a threat- their role is to suggest how and if you need support (amongst other things) your manager would be remiss not to meet with you about your absence- but this should be supportive and again to see if you might need any adjustments. What they shouldn't do is use this absence in any totting up of days which might lead to warnings or capability hearings etc. The organisation absolutely needs to acknowledge and discuss your absence with you- not just ignore it because it's pregnancy related.

originalusernamefail Thu 17-Dec-15 18:44:46

As far as I understand they can't. I work for the NHS and they don't.

Seeyounearertime Thu 17-Dec-15 18:45:06

www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4289

If I were you I would call ACAS, get the pm to tell you exactly what the law states, ask them to email it to you if they can.
Then forward that onto your manager of head of HR and ask them to clarify it to you in writing.

If they refuse then, personally speaking, I would be seeking grounds for discrimination and or constructive dismissal as they are making it impossible for you to continue in employment.

Scarydinosaurs Thu 17-Dec-15 18:50:51

Thank you for your quick replies.

I've only been back for a short period following my maternity leave, and this abscense was only two days long.

I will call ACAS in the morning, thank you for the advice. It reassures me that I was right, as I was made to feel in the meeting that it was ridiculous to not include my pregnancy related illness, when in fact the opposite is clearly true.

FN during my pregnancy I was referred to OH and that was fine- but even the person I saw at OH asked me "are they trying to get rid of you?" Which obviously hasn't filled me with confidence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now