Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

advice about parent taking children abroad

(10 Posts)
BoringlyRestrictive Tue 01-Dec-15 10:37:08

I know I can get a prohibitive steps order but I know he won't respect it.

I will have their uk passports but he has registered them at with the Algerian embassy already and can apply for their Algerian passports at anytime.

There's nothing I can do to stop this is there?
How do you cope with contact when it's a risk they may not come back to me?

I'm 50/50 on whether he would do this or not.

VimFuego101 Tue 01-Dec-15 10:38:34

Does the Algerian passport application require both parents signatures?

Maybe reunite can advise.

BoringlyRestrictive Tue 01-Dec-15 10:41:22

I have no idea but they are so lax about everything he could just say we have split and passports will be handed over.

I think even if I got him to organise them now and then I had them when we split (he doesn't know he happening yet) that he could go get replacements quite easily

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 01-Dec-15 12:09:58

As I understand and I may be wrong if you have a PSO preventing the children being removed from the country you can have an alter put through UK border agency to prevent their removal.

bibliomania Tue 01-Dec-15 12:48:05

Are you familiar with Reunite? They give good advice for this kind of situation.

For UK passports, it's easy, you just write to the Passport Office (I sent a copy of my residence order) and ask them not to issue passports to him.

Re Algerian passports, maybe not so easy. If you get to the point where you think he is on his way out of the country, you can get the police to issue an All Ports Warning.

There is some stuff you can do, and it makes you feel less helpless. I do understand what it's like living with this kind of fear though - wouldn't wish it on anyone.

BoringlyRestrictive Tue 01-Dec-15 17:35:44

Ok thank you. I'll look into that website.

It's such a worry. Although I wonder if I'm worrying about nothing.
It's just once he is served its going to get really nasty. He will get nasty and I need to be prepared for all eventualities

bibliomania Wed 02-Dec-15 10:52:04

Yes, definitely worth being prepared. Good luck with it. (At the same time, try not to obsess about this as a potential outcome. You might have to live with this worry for a long time, so you need to take the steps you can take, but then try to avoid putting too much energy into worrying about it. Easier said than done, I know).

babybarrister Wed 02-Dec-15 18:28:19

Reunite is excellent and has lots of information including about Algeria which is obviously not a Hague convention state .....

A PSO is not logged with anyone - it merely is directed at your ex. A port alert only lasts 30 days and will not be issued save in a case of emergency

Skullyton Mon 07-Dec-15 14:09:20

you need a prohibitive steps order, and you CAN get their algerian passports blocked or handed over and put out an all-ports alert to prevent them passing through immigration if you have grounds for believing the parent an immediate flight risk.

whataboutbob Tue 08-Dec-15 11:06:36

Good luck, having grown up in Algeria I know cases of child grabbing by the husband in mixed marriages after divorce was not unusual ( I remember my parents met the French consul and he told them dealing with it was a huge part of his workload). In Arab culture there is a presumption that on divorce the children go to the father. Whatsmore it's in the Coran (I believe).
Take all pre emptive measures you can. You are right to be very cautious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now