Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Why does it matter of DH & I write a will?

(9 Posts)
AdventureBe Mon 22-Jun-15 08:57:07

We're happy for the intestacy rules to apply should one of both of us die before DC. If we all go together I neither know nor care what would happen to our modest assets. i.e. I have no idea what I would put in the will to cover that circumstance, so happy for the law to decide.

What difference does it make if we write a will, that basically states the same as the intestacy rules?

prepperpig Mon 22-Jun-15 09:01:17

Not a lot, but if your circumstances change and the estate is then worth more..

Pufflemum Mon 22-Jun-15 09:06:41

If you are married, own your house as Joint Tenants, have very few other assets and do not have children then a straightforward Will doesn't add much other than speeding up the process for dealing with affairs following the first persons death.

However, if you don't fall into the above category then you should really invest an hour of your time and less than £200 to protect your spouse and children should something happen to a parent.

CMOTDibbler Mon 22-Jun-15 09:09:44

Its a hassle for the people left behind if you die intestate. Mumblechum who advertises in the small business section on here will write you wills that cover all possible future circumstances for a very modest fee

TeaAndCake Mon 22-Jun-15 10:07:42

Agree with CMOT. Dealing with the estate of a deceased person is far less complicated if there is a will.

If you are the spouse or the child of that person and have to deal with everything (and there is a lot) a will speeds it all up an avoids any arguments about their wishes which is the very last thing you want when grieving.

DH and I made our wills when we first bought our house together before we were married. Since we weren't each other's next of kin, it seemed unthinkable that either of us would have to share the estate of the other with their family.

We changed the wills when we married even though it was simpler in law if one of us died.

My mum made her will at the same time we did. When she died a few years later, executing her will was very straightforward for me and my siblings. We were all joint executors and shared the estate equally, no possible arguments or resentments.

Now that we are parents, I could not bear the thought of our children and the estate being argued over if DH and I were to both die (neither of us come from families which argue anyway btw, but it would be awful for them to be left in limbo).

It's a few years since we made our wills but it wasn't terribly expensive in the scheme of things. Just do it and have peace of mind.

Collaborate Mon 22-Jun-15 10:28:45

Would you really want your children to get their hands on a load of cash at age 18, without anything to stop them blowing it all?

KERALA1 Thu 25-Jun-15 12:37:28

Guardianship of kids should you both go. Nominating trustees to look after estate until dc old enough to inherit. Putting off age kids inherit, without a will its 18. Probate easier if you've appointed executors otherwise you have to apply to become an administrator so abit easier for those left behind with a will. But you don't have to have a will. Cost benefit analysis is probably worth it.

BabyGanoush Thu 25-Jun-15 13:06:09

Intestacy means bank accounts get frozen temporarily. It would be hard for the surving partner, even if only temporary (for example paying mortgage, funeral costs)

Also, if both of you die you want to have in writing who will be the kids' guardians.

It makes the whole process quicker and with less hassle. At a time when you really need it.

BabyGanoush Thu 25-Jun-15 13:10:58

check it out here:

www.gov.uk/inherits-someone-dies-without-will

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now