Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Phishing

(14 Posts)
howtorebuild Fri 12-Jun-15 12:47:35

I suspect I received a phishing email from either an abusive ex or their partner.

Help.

Madlizzy Fri 12-Jun-15 12:54:27

How do you want us to help?

howtorebuild Fri 12-Jun-15 13:02:33

This email is trying to scam me to send them personal information, not bank details, they want personal details.

gamerchick Fri 12-Jun-15 13:11:50

What makes you think they're from someone you know? These emails get sent out all the time.

Madlizzy Fri 12-Jun-15 13:26:06

Some email programmes will allow you to bounce it back as if not received. if yours can't do that, then just delete it.

howtorebuild Fri 12-Jun-15 15:50:23

They used very specific information.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Fri 12-Jun-15 15:58:23

Well just ignore it, and change your settings do that mail from that address goes straight to the deleted folder.

What else us there to do?

howtorebuild Fri 12-Jun-15 16:19:25

I can and do physically ignore. I get the creeps as there is a pattern of need for them to touch base with me somehow. If they can't get to me one way they try other ways. I can't seem to escape.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Fri 12-Jun-15 16:24:12

Ignore it, or change your email address and immediately set the new one up to recognise that address and delete it. Block calls on your mob and landline. Or if you have evidence it's your ex report to police for stalking.

howtorebuild Fri 12-Jun-15 16:31:31

They don't have my phone numbers, my address, nothing just this email and child maintenance.

The email was to entice information from me by the promise of a job, as they don't have information and avoid paying CM. I am not registered anywhere looking for a job. The job offer was in their field of work. I changed my name and they used a specific name nobody else uses.

Police failed us before so I am not in a hurry to ask for help again.

Madlizzy Fri 12-Jun-15 16:53:55

Then I echo changing your email address.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Fri 12-Jun-15 16:58:56

It sounds more and more like a normal phishing/junk/scam email to me OP, with a huge coincidence in it. Just ignore it. If he has no other way of getting ho!d of you or finding where you are, there's nothing to overly worry about.
How do you think he got hold of your email address? Do you use your own name, to make it easy to guess? Eg Mary.jones@hotmail.com?

howtorebuild Fri 12-Jun-15 17:13:59

He had my email as did she, he gave it to her. It's their only way to contact me. My family, schools and so forth only have my email to contact me, my family and old friends don't know where I am. I will try to find a way to block this email address they used.

I just feel sickened, it's hard for me to explain.

prh47bridge Fri 12-Jun-15 20:44:28

As others have said this sounds like normal phishing to me. If you want to tell us exactly what it says (PM me if you like) I may be able to advise if it is a known phishing attack.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now