Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Is it legal for a school to insist on girls wearing dresses?

(15 Posts)
PetaPipa Mon 08-Jun-15 16:26:55

Or is it sex discrimination? This is just out of interest really but the school that my dd is going to go to has dresses for girls in its uniform letter, although they are apparently allowed to wear trousers if it is cold! There is no mention of whether a girl could choose to wear shorts in the summer rather than a dress.

worridmum Mon 08-Jun-15 16:39:23

most likely is just like its discrimation that boys have to wear trousers all year round (even in really hot temptures) when girls get the choice of wearing a skirt or trousers etc

PetaPipa Mon 08-Jun-15 16:41:20

yes, I agree. there was also no mention of boys being allowed to wear dresses! but boys can usually wear shorts in summer can't they?

PetaPipa Mon 08-Jun-15 16:43:16

I'm just wondering what the consequences would be if a girl decided to wear shorts to school. Or I suppose if a boy decided to wear a dress. if they are still wearing the school uniform can they be disciplined?

Theas18 Mon 08-Jun-15 16:46:52

state primary? you've signed up to the uniform policy by signing the home school agreement.

However I doubt you would ha a problem with wearing trousers all year round. that could be a religious issue....

THe problem with girls wearing shorts is they aren't usually the bermuda length that the boys have and then we are into " too much leg showing /not decent"

PetaPipa Mon 08-Jun-15 16:51:30

Yes, state primary. I haven't signed anything yet.... It's not really an issue at the moment as my dd is perfectly happy in dresses but she goes through phases and I'm just interested in the issue as personally I think it is ridiculous and discriminatory. I worry that she'll stop climbing and doing physical play for fear of showing her knickers or something. I remember that being an issue when I was at school. But maybe things have changed.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 08-Jun-15 17:10:07

IME (DD just finishing primary school) they are very unconcerned about exhibiting knickers. They do stop lifting their dresses to compare knickers in about year 2, but DD still hangs upside down on the bars with her knickers on view. She can wear shorts, but doesn't like them. Interestingly boys can only wear trouser

PetaPipa Mon 08-Jun-15 17:27:53

Well that is reassuring lonecat. I don't want her to be limited by her uniform.

worridmum Tue 09-Jun-15 13:23:10

my children have been at 4 different primary schools and not one let the boys wear shorts in the summer it was trousers only all year round (dont get me started on secondry school uniform having to wear a jumper and a blazer in june its totally not on ....)

DressMeHeadToFootInTommy Tue 09-Jun-15 13:27:37

Dont build a bridge to go and get a problem. GeeZ

PetaPipa Tue 09-Jun-15 20:21:51

I'm asking a question DressMe I'm not suing the school!

PetaPipa Tue 09-Jun-15 20:27:11

worridmum, at this school boys can wear shorts in the summer, but not, apparently, the girls.

AuditAngel Tue 09-Jun-15 20:44:05

At our primary, boys winter uniform is trousers plus , summer: shorts or trousers, polo shirt or shirt.

Girls can wear skirts/pinafores/trousers in winter or summer, summer dresses, but no shorts. In year 6, the girls can wear a polo shirt and skirt.

DD1 (8) has no problem about showing her knickers, but apparently they now have to wear PE shorts if the will be upside down confused she is not developed in any way. Let her be a kid.

PetaPipa Tue 09-Jun-15 20:52:14

AuditAngel that is ridiculous! So they have to plan ahead, before playing on the climbing frame??? Why don't they just let them wear shorts if they are that bothered?! It's good to know the children are not concerned. I just thought maybe there would be teasing if someone showed their pants and there are so many reasons why girls stop doing physical play and sport, I don't want another reason to worry about!

ltk Tue 09-Jun-15 21:01:45

A ban on trousers would probably not hold up in court if anyone was minded to take it that far. A ban on boys wearing skirts would probably would fall foul of equalities law too, I suspect.

I always remember this case:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/654179.stm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now