Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

passport/nationality question

(4 Posts)
passportquestion Sun 17-Aug-14 09:12:08

try to keep it short:
we are eu nationals living in engand for over 10 years. all good and proper, ni and electoral roll from day one, pay plenty on taxes etc.

dc have been born here. first dc 2 years after arriving, second after 5 years.
because of the length of time we have been here we could apply for uk citizenship.

my question is, is applying for dc straightforward? can we just fill in the application and send it off? I know for adults there is a lot of paperwork and tests and money involved. is this different for dc?

NorthWards Mon 18-Aug-14 12:03:56

If your children were born in the UK then they are entitled to citizenship automatically if you had indefinite leave to stay in the country.

In any other case you would need to apply for citizenship for your children, or apply after you have received your own.

MrsSchadenfreude Tue 19-Aug-14 22:08:03

Yes, you can apply. Your children should get UK nationality automatically as they were born in UK to parents who were legally settled here.

Chunderella Mon 25-Aug-14 09:55:41

It sounds like you automatically acquired permanent residence after 5 years exercising your Treaty rights (working, in your case). If the children were born after this, they can register as British. You don't actually have to apply for permanent residence, for EEA people it's something you get automatically if you get it at all, but in your shoes I might be tempted to use a solicitor anyway as there'll be a lot of paperwork. You'll need to demonstrate that you had permanent residence when they were born, which is going to involve showing that you lived and worked here during that period. The children won't have to do any tests though, and their application fees will be cheaper than yours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now