Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Anyone know about car insurance - other person refusing to speak to their insurers?

(28 Posts)
LondonBus Fri 08-Aug-14 18:17:44

Basically, someone drove into my car while I was parked by the side of the road.

I was given their details (car reg, phone number, and was later given the name of their insurers by text). They have done everything they needed to do legally.

But they have not contacted their insurers. On the advice of my insurers I contacted an accident management company. They have contacted the other person by email. The other person has admitted the accident happened, but said it wasn't their fault, as they were driving a van and reversing, and you can't see out of the back of the van as it has no windows, so it's not their fault.

The problem now is they aren't speaking to their insurance company...they won't answer any calls or emails.

The accident management company seem to be very good, and tell me it will all be sorted eventually.

Anyone know what will happen next, and will it all take ages? The car is drive-able, but was in mint condition, and now isn't. Repair work will need to be done before the car is sold.

LondonBus Fri 08-Aug-14 20:31:59

Anyone?

NorthEasterlyGale Fri 08-Aug-14 20:57:28

Not sure why you've been referred to an accident management company.

My understanding of car insurance is that in this situation, your insurers would arrange for repairs to your vehicle and will then deal with the other party's insurer to recoup the costs. I would imagine you may have to pay your excess until they have established the facts and agreed who is to blame, when it would be refunded to you if the circumstances allow, but essentially, YOUR insurer should be sorting it all for YOU. That's why you pay them!

As for not their fault 'cause they were reversing a van - BALLS!

Hopefully someone with more up to date knowledge will be along to advise shortly.

Hope you get it all sorted quickly - it's horrible to have your car damaged when it wasn't even in use (been there, done that, but was malicious damage rather than a reversing incident).

GalaxyInMyPants Fri 08-Aug-14 20:58:38

Your insurance company will sort out the repair. You'll have to pay your excess.

Your company then need to deal with the other insurance company. The other driver has shot themselves in the foot by what they've said. They've admitted reversing into you, so it is very much their fault. If they can't see out the back they need to be more careful and also use their wing mirrors. I had a big van and could see ok by using my wing mirrors. So they've inadvertently admitted liability and I think their insurance company will end up telling them to stop been a prat.

Your insurance company will need prodding to sort it. As it sounds like a fairly small claim they won't be bothered about it. Its not worth their time to sort it and they may even tell you to agree to 50/50 blame. Refuse to do this and tell them to do their job.

Once blame has been agreed your insurance company should claim your excess back for you. I've no idea what an accident company is...never used one.

The other person has admitted the accident happened, but said it wasn't their fault, as they were driving a van and reversing, and you can't see out of the back of the van as it has no windows, so it's not their fault

nice try grin

of course it's their fault! Your insurers should be dealing direct with their insurers & you should get the full cost of repairs covered

Who are you with? they sound rubbish!

LondonBus Fri 08-Aug-14 21:49:12

I was advised by the insurance brokers to contact the accident management company -apparently such companies sort everything out for you, and some how make a load of money by giving you a hire car, paid for by the other persons insurers...I don't quite get it, but they are currently in dialogue with the other persons insurers, but the other driver is ignoring their insurance companies efforts to contact them!

DH is so cross about the accident (long back story) he doesn't want to pay the excess and then wait for it to be refunded (or not as the case may be), so is happy for this company to deal with it.

I'm confident everyone will see the other person is at fault, but if they refuse to communicate with anyone, can we go any further?

Redglitter Fri 08-Aug-14 21:53:38

I think you'll still have to pay your excess. My insurance company referred me to a similar company. cos it was the other drivers fault I got a lovely brand new Mazda while my car was being repaired rather than the Daewoo Matiz the garage offered. I still had to pay my excess when I picked my car up though and got it back a few weeks later

Redglitter Fri 08-Aug-14 21:55:34

I don't think it'll matter that they won't cooperate. It might slow things down but it's up to the ins company to sort out. otherwise anyone who was at fault in an accident would take the silent approach. My other drivers company were a nightmare but at the end of the day it didn't matter

LondonBus Fri 08-Aug-14 22:13:41

I was wondering if staying silent was some sort of method of getting away with it...they did what they legally had to do by giving insurance details, but are now just staying silent. So frustrating. Personally I would have been on the phone to my insurers first thing the next morning, but hey.

Redglitter Sat 09-Aug-14 00:42:51

They possibly think.if they ignore it it'll go away but that won't be the case or everyone would do it.

zipzap Sat 09-Aug-14 09:07:12

Becareful that you don't get stung with any charges by the accident management company if anything goes awry if you're the ones that have engaged them rather than your insurance company.

Our car was damaged in a car park, other person admitted full liability, told his insurers immediately etc and they got the accident management company to sort stuff out. We had a hire car while they were repairing the other one. Car took a while to repair - garage was very busy and we didn't get any info on when it would have been ready. We were about to go away - just to family in the uk - so we rang up to say if you don't fix it by a couple of days time we will be away so not around for several days to pick it up.

They then rang us on the morning we were due to go to say that it was now ready and we needed to pick the car up that day and give the hire car back or else we would be liable for it - at crazy inflated ACM prices - from that afternoon on - so 4-5 days away would have cost us well over £1500.

They knew we were going away - they could have warned us the day before, but as it was, if they had rung an hour later we would have missed the call and not found the message until we got back. When we were telling them that we were off originally they didn't mention that if our car was ready while we were away we would be liable to warn us that we needed to hang around to drop everything to pick up our car at their convenience or else pay the price.

It dies seem strange that your insurance company isn't doing the work - even if that was just for them to sort out an AMC. What are they expecting to do for the money you pay them if not this?!?

specialsubject Sat 09-Aug-14 11:12:12

I think you need to take it higher with your insurers, raise a complaint and make a fuss.

you may well need to pay the excess for now. I'm afraid your husband will just have to learn to cope with that.

I've had this - ended up taking the culprit to the small claims court - but it was a LONG time ago.

the other driver's excuse is laughable. That's what door mirrors are for, and if all fails you get out and check.

mipmop Sat 09-Aug-14 19:39:28

For info if anyone is involved in an accident that is considered non-fault (like this one, or maybe you stop at traffic lights or a roundabout and someone behind you fails to stop and hits your car) you can deal direct with the other driver's insurance company. They will be very nice to you because it's much cheaper for them to deal direct with you than to deal with an accident repair company. You won't have to pay an excess and any limits on your policy (e.g. your own insurance policy doesn't offer physio treatment, but tge other insurer may puffer that). Also because your own insurer did no work, it doesn't affect your history in the way a normal claim does. So as long as the other driver's insurer accepts full responsibility its a good option.

LondonBus Sun 10-Aug-14 20:23:40

mipmop I tried dealing direct with the other driver's insurance company. They took may and her details, but then refused to communicate with me further. They weren't very nice, they were very awkward, and I had to be very nice, yet firm to get them to even take the details. They then refused to speak to me about the incident when I called to ask if they had spoken to the other person, or if the other person had contacted them. think they mumbled about "data protection". Fine, I understand that, but really someone somewhere along the line is going to have to start communicating.

This morning I told DH he was being as difficult as everyone else, as he is point blank refusing to go through our insurers as he doesn't wan't to be £100 out of pocket for a year....he would rather wait to get the work done. We are hardly going to starve if we are out of pocket of £100 for a year. Personally I would get the work done, let the insurers deal with it, and wait. I do agree with DH that the other person needs to take responsibility and deal with their insurance company and pay their excess. They are totally responsible, and are sticking their head in the sand.

mipmop Sun 10-Aug-14 20:48:17

It sounds like the other driver's insurer will have to turn the screws to make their customer comply (the other driver's silence is costing money in extended hire car charges etc, and its a condition of insurance that they talk to their insurer!) The key thing with dealing direct is that the other driver has told their insurer what happened, and the insurer accepts that their driver was responsible for the accident. What a mess , hopefully it'll all proceed now. It must be very frustrating.

clam Sun 10-Aug-14 20:48:56

I'm not quite sure why you are doing all this donkey work? It's not your job to contact the other person's insurers directly, and I'm not surprised they refused to discuss it with you. Leave it up to your insurers. That's what they're there for.

And sorry, but your dh is being an arse.

LondonBus Sun 10-Aug-14 20:58:01

Clam, I agree. I would happily pay the excess, but as the insurance is in DH's name, and he drives the car for work, I won't be able to without him knowing.

I would let the whole thing go....and then when DH wanted to sell the car he would have to pay to have the work done. It would cost much more than the excess. But there is back story, and I really need the other person to realise there are consequences to actions, and you can't just drive into someones car and get away with it.

specialsubject Sun 10-Aug-14 21:08:05

cheers and applause! Go for it.

LondonBus Sun 10-Aug-14 21:10:23

Eh?

specialsubject Sun 10-Aug-14 21:45:43

sorry, clear as mud...

I really need the other person to realise there are consequences to actions, and you can't just drive into someones car and get away with it.

This! We all make mistakes (which is why we need insurance) but if we make a mistake, we need to suck it up.

LondonBus Sun 10-Aug-14 21:52:49

Oh, OK. smile

I feel like I'm being a bit of a bitch perusing this. Normally, if it were anything else, I would just get whatever it was fixed, pay for it myself and tell other person never mind, don't worry about paying for it. But there is a back story I won't go into, and this person really does need to stop sticking their head in the sand, and pretending everything will be OK if they ignore it. At the time the person was remorseful and apologetic. I gave them hug and told them it was OK as no one was hurt, then asked for their insurance details.

FesterAddams Sun 10-Aug-14 22:46:51

I can't work out what it is that you want to happen.
Do you care about minimising the expense to you? In which case you should put in a claim with your insurance company and suck up the excess.
Do you care about maximising the inconvenience to the other party? In which case you should put in a claim with your insurance company - the other party's premiums will likely go up next year.
Do you want the other party to weep with remorse, turn over a new leaf and become an upstanding member of the community? Not going to happen.

Littlef00t Mon 11-Aug-14 09:34:37

When a car rear shunted ours and their insurance was less than helpful, our insurance sorted everything then pursued the other insurance for the cost.

You shouldn't need a management company, that's what your insurance should do.

Beware if they are encouraging you to have a swish hire car, you have a responsibility to keep costs reasonable and that includes a hire car on par with the damaged one.

fairgroundsnack Mon 11-Aug-14 09:41:14

You can either (i) claim via your insurers and pay the excess for now and let your insurers deal with their insurers, or (ii) pay everything you need to now and then bring a claim against the other driver directly through the small claims court. I would be very surprised if the other party's insurer will deal with you directly. I wouldn't use the accident management company - you are at risk of ending up paying their inflated costs. I think you will have to pay out and then get refunded to some extent at this stage.

3littlefrogs Mon 11-Aug-14 09:41:45

When Ds had an accident the other driver's insurance company sent their representative round to the witness and made him change his statement. angry

The other driver was speeding and undertaking, but the way the insurance company made the witness change his statement made it look like it was Ds' fault.

Insurance is so expensive these days and the service is really not good.

I hope you get this sorted soon OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now