Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Really stressful situation

(9 Posts)
violetsrblue Fri 08-Aug-14 15:12:43

What on earth can I do about this horrible situation? My (ex) friend appears to have run up a £3000 debt. The first I knew of it was when I had a phone call out of the blue from someone asking me if I knew this friend. I assume they took my phone number from her phone records. So I assessed that they are a debt collection agency and had a further two phone calls, quite insistent and unpleasant, pressing me for details about her, insisting that 'well she has given us your number'.

Eventually I gave them her (new) address, figuring that it would get rid of them and after all, it is her debt and her responsibility. I also texted her, and told her I had done that, and why.

I have since had two letters from them, saying they are going to take further action - court, 'a visit' etc. The adressee is - my first name, and her surname! (Sent to my adress). This is really stressing me out and I am fuming with her. I have actually cut her out of my life now.

How do I go forward with this? They are not accepting that this debt is not mine and have weirdly combined our names and linked it to my adress. angry

lunar1 Fri 08-Aug-14 15:17:22

It might not have anything to do with your friend, did you ask her?

Greengrow Fri 08-Aug-14 15:22:09

1. Put everything writing and send a letter to the company by special delivery and keep a copy - never just rely on phone calls. They will pretend they never had them.
2. Consider writing to the Information Commissioner if your personal data has been handled in breach of the data protection legislation.
3. In writing give the company 30 days to correct its data and require it to pay you all costs arising from this breach of your right.
4. Keep checking every few weeks to see if your credit record is okay and whether anything adverse on it has been removed. Do not take them at their word if they say they will clean it up and remove the association.
5. Write to your friend again by special delivery if you think she has given your details giving her 7 days to write (copied to you) to the company setting things straight.

Madlizzy Fri 08-Aug-14 15:24:58

It onus is on them to prove that you owe the debt.

PrimalLass Fri 08-Aug-14 15:54:30

Do an Experian check to see what is listed on there. I had something similar - someone registered at the shop under my flat with Lisa + my surname. I wrote to the credit agencies and 'disassociated' myself.

Neverknowingly Fri 08-Aug-14 17:09:19

never ever talk to debt collectors on the phone. They rarely just go away as you are finding now.

Please be aware that debt collectors agents/baillifs etc have no authority to come on to your property. only court baillifs have such rights. make it clear that you will only speak with them in writing and no one will be given access to your property.

sarahquilt Fri 08-Aug-14 20:10:07

If it were me, I think I'd talk to the police as it seems like she was fraudulently using your details.

violetsrblue Sat 09-Aug-14 22:34:49

Lots to think about and get on with - thanks! Feel in 'rabbit in headlight' mode but know I need to take action and fight back.

violetsrblue Fri 15-Aug-14 15:37:53

Greengrow, thanks for your advice about the letter. Can I ask, do you think I should not sign the letter, and should I not give my surname? I can't remember if they already know my surname from the phone calls. I feel like I don't want to give them any more information about me but how do I sign off the letter?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now