Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Name change by deedpoll - are the free websites legit?

(5 Posts)
ThePartyArtist Thu 07-Aug-14 13:35:09

Getting married in a month and we're both making a new surname by double barrelling our existing ones. I am confused about changing our names by deedpoll as some websites say you need to pay but this one is free freedeedpoll.org.uk/ and I am not sure if it is legit. The Government website https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll says you MAY need to pay a fee. Can anyone who's done it advise please?

CrocsAreJustPlainUgly Thu 07-Aug-14 15:36:42

You do NOT need to pay, you do NOT need to print it on fancy paper, or get a stamp, or pay to have it checked.

I used the freedeedpoll.org,uk site and i've changed my drivers licence, passport, banks, GP's etc I've done the same for my son. I printed it on normal A4 paper and just got two friends to sign it.

poshfrock Thu 07-Aug-14 17:10:07

Yes changing your name costs nothing unless you want it registered via the court which most people don't. Websites are completely legit.

VelvetEmbers Thu 07-Aug-14 17:14:31

If your DH changes his before the wedding then you don't have to do a deed poll as well. You just start using "his" (new) surname after the wedding, using your marriage certificate as proof of the change.

ThePartyArtist Fri 15-Aug-14 14:45:21

Thanks all, really useful! Now to start making a list of ALL the places I'm going to have to tell about the new name!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now