Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Has anyone had to enforce a REMO?

(9 Posts)
LadySybilLikesCake Mon 04-Aug-14 20:52:35

The ex is in Eire. I sent the forms to enforce the UK order in Feb, I had a letter at the end of March to say they had been sent to Eire and since then I've received nothing. I emailed my local court mid June and they have nudged the Official Solicitor here, but I've still received nothing. 6 months, it's taken 6 months so far. Is this normal? sad

Thank you sad

babybarrister Tue 05-Aug-14 14:17:04

Contact remo again but yes expect long delays ...

LadySybilLikesCake Tue 05-Aug-14 17:13:38

Thank you. Oddly enough, I received a letter this morning and they are waiting for the UK to confirm that they have the right documents.

I wish I'd have asked for interest to be added onto the arrears. It may have given him more of an incentive to sort it rather than wasting the court's time, yet again.

fortheloveof01 Wed 06-Aug-14 21:27:48

Once it's resolved, you'll receive payments dated from when the application was entered with REMO so you will get some recompense for the delay. I enforced a REMO order in the USA and it took 8 months. Good luck!

LadySybilLikesCake Wed 06-Aug-14 21:47:23

smile That's great! It must be such a relief for you.

He's been paying the monthly payments since last year, but hasn't made any effort to pay the arrears which should have been paid by Christmas, so this is what I'm trying to get. I also need something incase he stops paying again (he stopped because he didn't think I was grateful hmm). I don't think I can get compensation for the delay as the arrears are a set amount,

I should have asked for the court to add interest onto it incase of none payment. I feel a bit silly to be honest.

fortheloveof01 Wed 06-Aug-14 21:50:02

You should specifically request that the money is taken by his employer directly from his salary (can't remember the name for that). It's much easier and he can't then decide if, or how much he pays.

LadySybilLikesCake Wed 06-Aug-14 21:57:25

I know what you mean, but I don't know the process from here now, only that I have to contact my local court for updates, who will then contact the REMO unit in London. The Remo Unit liase with his court, and then contact my court who will contact me confused Talk about long winded! I don't know if I get a say in anything, or whether I have to go back to court as no one's ever said. I don't like living at his mercy.

fortheloveof01 Tue 12-Aug-14 10:37:51

It is frustrating as you are not viewed as the 'client' as far as the overseas court is concerned. Nonetheless, they probably will take calls from you if you ask for updates as long as you have the case reference number and can give them your personal details. I hope you never have to go back to court to have the amount reviewed. It took me more than a year to persuade the local court to put in an application and ultimately involved starting the process over again. I'm still waiting on the outcome, 3 months after putting in the new application.

LadySybilLikesCake Thu 18-Sep-14 00:21:49

I've heard nothing since the 5th Aug. I really should ask them to review it at some point. He's boasted before about how much overtime he gets, enough for 2 months worth of maintenance in one weekend! It wasn't increased for over 10 years. Ds would claim maintenance from him for his Uni course though (Ds is disabled) so I suspect he needs to go to court himself sad

Good luck, I hope yours is sorted quickly. It took a while to get to court here in the first place, but it was backdated to the date the forms were filled so you should get some arrears smile Thank you for answering, I'm sorry it's taken me ages to reply (work!!!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now