Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Well known car dealership and "refundable" deposit

(60 Posts)
Logg1e Tue 25-Mar-14 07:30:59

Last week we were encouraged to pay a £100 refundable deposit on a car.

We went to buy this car this week, but they had made a mistake with the tax disc, apologised when I spotted it, but said they wouldn't recompense me for it (I didn't even expect them to change it - said I would if they covered the extra cost!!).
I said in that case I didn't want the car. I play straight and expect them to. Fair enough they said.

They said they won't return the £100 deposit as the V5 is already on its way to us (I doubt it as they only had two hours' notice that we would buy the car). They said they will only return the deposit when we take the V5 in.

Can anyone shed any light on this situation?

PigletJohn Tue 25-Mar-14 10:18:33

"The sales man kept going back to his boss to check everything, so it was the managers decision."

ha ha, that's an old trick. The salesman says "I'll try to fix it for you, but I have to ask the boss," goes off and has a cup of tea and a fag, comes back and says "I really argued your case, but he says no"

If you are negotiating with an imaginary invisible person, you have to say, "OK, I'll come with you"

Logg1e Tue 25-Mar-14 11:09:43

Update!!

Viva it wasn't a car we loved, and I was happy to walk away over the principle of £10.

Santas no haggling - this is what I mean, we played it straight, researched the car, it was a fair price. I'm happy to pay a little bit more for the sake of 3 months come back should anything go wrong and knowing we're getting a car that's been serviced etc.

Piglet it was a new salesman, and I do believe he was going to get it checked, because he was getting everything checked - how to use the computer etc.

Logg1e Tue 25-Mar-14 11:14:09

So, update got through to the principle dealer as Livvy advised. He wasn't happy with the situation and said not only would I of course get the full refund and should have got in then and there, if I'm still interested the car is ours (on the terms agreed re tax) and they'll sort it problem-free.

So, after feeling really emotional about it all and the amount of wasted time, it looks as though it will be sorted out brilliantly by the company.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 25-Mar-14 11:55:32

That's good. Hopefully the staff involved get a rocket up the arse.

Livvylongpants Tue 25-Mar-14 13:32:38

That's great to here logg1e. Always go to the DP, they know what they are doing. I hope he gives the sales guy a kick up the arse as what he did was wrong.

is very glad I don't work for Evans halshaw

Livvylongpants Tue 25-Mar-14 13:35:36

-- nd yes you'd be amazed how often the cars 'accidentally' get 6 months tax at EH-- whistles I said nothing

Logg1e Tue 25-Mar-14 13:40:04

I can't see how they benefit, as it's itemised.

Livvylongpants Tue 25-Mar-14 14:01:25

I think it's just lack of communication between sales guys and sales admin (who do taxing etc)

Luckily I have nothing to do with cars. I just fiddle with numbers upstairs :D

Logg1e Tue 25-Mar-14 14:10:17

The mistake was perfectly understandable (although the salesman told me it would be him personally going to the Post Office to tax the car). I didn't have any problem with the mistake, I had a problem with their attitude of "we made the mistake, we apologise, but you're going to pay for it".

Livvylongpants Tue 25-Mar-14 14:49:33

It's very stupid and obviously the sales guys fault as the DP agreed with you. This is how it works. Sales guys give paperwork to admin, admin full it all out and bring it to accounts (me smile ) I write a cheque and hand back to sales admin, a driver (or sometimes a salesguy) takes the cheque to the post office and gets tax disc. So it goes through a few hands.

Its happened before, we just take £10 or whatever out of petty cash and give to customer there and then. However we are statstone rather than EH but the same parent company owns both so I imagine the system is the same

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now