Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Bringing an 8 year old in to court? is it allowed?

(9 Posts)
balenciaga Mon 24-Mar-14 10:41:48

just that really

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2034363-taking-an-8-year-old-into-court-firstly-can-you-and-secondly-would-you?

posted that ^^ in chat which explains more but was hoping a legal type could advise better x

lostdad Mon 24-Mar-14 13:46:00

In a word, no.

babybarrister Mon 24-Mar-14 20:53:24

Will not be let in to hearing room - please find someone to look after them

Alad Tue 25-Mar-14 06:43:08

Seem to remember that disallowing children in public gallery of court was challenged on Human Rights grounds. Best thing is to call ahead and check.

farmersmarket Tue 01-Apr-14 08:51:48

some courts do allow this e.g. family courts in london. I have been asked to bring my (then) 10 year old son (But wrote to say I thought it a bad idea; no action was taken by the judge)

Dsheetsbucks9 Tue 01-Apr-14 11:27:33

You've hit the nail on the head FarmersMarket, the judge asked you to bring the child.

If the child is allowed and their input into the matter is desirable then the court will let you know, otherwise keep them at home.

farmersmarket Tue 01-Apr-14 12:39:25

I think in london this is actually just standard process for over 10 year old as they then see the cafcass officer at the time (In theory; sometimes they are not there).
you can also suggest this to the judge at the initial hearing yourself and they may agree.
do you want to bring for baby-sitting or for them to speak?

STIDW Tue 01-Apr-14 15:55:42

As I understand it though the child isn't the subject of proceedings, the OP is attending the court just to support a friend.

EmmaGellerGreen Tue 01-Apr-14 18:28:20

DH (cps) said a very definitive no, unless child is giving evidence in open court.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now