Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

Maiden name / married name

(10 Posts)

Name change fail blush

So I was right in what I did (or didn't do) 20 years ago when I got married.
If I now wanted to use DH name I just have to tell bank / passport etc people?

specialsubject Wed 19-Mar-14 17:01:42

change of name on marriage has never been a legal requirement in the UK. You CAN do it by taking actions. Do nothing and there is no change.

your legal name is the one you were given at birth, with the prefix you choose. If you want to use anything different, you need to do something.

I checked with a solicitor when I got married as I wanted to change my name, but not just to DH's. She said that there was no need to change by deed poll or anything. You just use the name you want and that becomes your name.

MrsSquirrel Wed 19-Mar-14 16:36:49

You are mistaken OP. There is no legal requirement for a woman to change her name on marriage.

If you were sent a NI card with the wrong name on, it is just because a civil servant made a certain assumption.

geekaMaxima Wed 19-Mar-14 16:35:12

Your name only changes on marriage if you actively send out your marriage certificate to banks, passport office, etc. to change your name from your birth name. In other words, you have to take specific action to take up the option of making your husband's surname your legal name.

If you do nothing after marriage, your legal name continues to be your birth name.

titchy Wed 19-Mar-14 16:31:06

Assuming you're an adult your legal name is whatever you want it to be!

I know you can use whatever name you like but I was always under the impression that legally your name changed on marriage and that by retaining my maiden name I was effectively "known as" Mrs Myname?
They sent me a national insurance card in my married name.

tallulah Wed 19-Mar-14 16:16:03

Your legal name is the one you use. There is no law that says you have to change your name, and you sign your marriage cert in your own name.

When I got married 20 years ago I kept my maiden name.
I declared my marriage to banks etc but I didn't do anything legally I just became Mrs Myname.
Does anyone know whether my legal name is actually Mrs Hisname?
Just musing as I'm considering changing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now