Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can they really threaten legal action over this invoice?

(5 Posts)
Lonecatwithkitten Tue 25-Feb-14 13:03:39

It is very normal in commercial leases for the business who s the tenant to pay for insurance along with it being a repairing lease. I have had several commercial leases and it has been a standard clause in all f them.

Fidelia Tue 25-Feb-14 12:38:11

Firstly, read your contract. Is the insurance mentioned on there or not?

Secondly, if you are liable for the insurance, financial liability runs for the last 6 years (that's why you have to keep your financial records for the last 6 financial years)...so yes, you are likely to have to pay.

1stworldissue Mon 24-Feb-14 14:18:25

We are trying to contact ours but as there is a fair chance he didn't warn us about this I'm not overly impressed, really can't afford to be paying legal fees on top but realise we will have to!

Just wondered if there was anyone online that could set my mind at ease they are being cheeky bastards while I sit and stress waiting for a call back.

Morgause Mon 24-Feb-14 14:15:26

Get a lawyer.

1stworldissue Mon 24-Feb-14 14:13:52

We sub rent a business building and the people we are renting from (large national chain) just sent through 2 invoices totalling £8k.

The invoices are for insurances that our solicitor didn't flag up that we would be liable for.

The invoices are for 2012! and 2013-14. There is an invoice issued date on them of 1st Feb and due date on them for 11th February yet they weren't sent to us until the 12th Feb (a year after the insurance period in the first case) with a brief note saying we were liable for them, sorry they were a year late their accounts hadn't sent them through.

6 working days later after the person has refused to answer our voicemails we get an email saying we haven't contacted them and they didn't want to go to a lawyer!

So:

A - shouldn't we be given time to consult our contract to see if we are indeed liable

B - shouldn't we have copies of this "insurance" they are charging us for as we have no idea what it is for

C - surely they can't threaten legal action for us not paying on the due date when one invoice is a year out of date (they just changed the due date to the 11th Feb) and both were sent 11 days after the written "issue" date and 1 day after the written "due by" date.

We just don't have it to pay!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now