Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Grandparents Rights - court proceedings

(55 Posts)
luckz666 Mon 11-Nov-13 07:20:03

Me and my fiance have a 18 month old son and have just received court proceedings from his mum (our sons grandmother) for a defined contact order.we have not spoken to her in 12 years as she caused a lot of trouble in the early part of our relationship.when we had our son she then pushed letters through my parents door where i lived demanding she saw him.i am not entitled to legal aid and cant afford a solicitor so will be representing ourselves in court.Any ideas what to expect or what to do! Im am terrified!

luckz666 Tue 18-Feb-14 10:33:51

Yes we will tell the cafcass officer everything.
The judge said that even though there is conflict between us and her it shouldnt prevent her from applying.
Thing is she is now telling people we know that she has been granted contact and gets to see our son via a contact centre.
Its frightening what shes doing!

justtoomessy Mon 17-Feb-14 20:39:07

I am amazed that despite you having had no contact for 12 years they have granted her leave to apply for contact. That must be very hard for you and I would tell them everything for the section 7 report.

prh47bridge Mon 17-Feb-14 09:02:16

CAFCASS will report on the welfare of your son and make recommendations based on what they believe to be his best interests. They will recommend whether or not contact should take place and, if so, the amount and kind of contact. The judge does not have to follow the CAFCASS recommendations.

luckz666 Mon 17-Feb-14 08:24:04

Does anyone know what a cafcass section 7 report involves?
We have to take my son to their offices be interviewed for an hour on my own then my other half on his own for an hour.
They also want to meet our son.
Im terrified of this!

luckz666 Mon 10-Feb-14 12:16:27

Just had a call from cafcass to arrange a section 7 report. She told me we need to attend an appointment at her office and would need to bring our son and speak to myself and my partner separatly for an hour each.
What type of things do they ask and why do we need to take our son?
Im dreading it!

luckz666 Sun 09-Feb-14 11:26:54

She goes to the local social club we have used for years and so so my parents. She sits there and cries for attention so people feel sorry for her,yet when we arnt there shes dancing and laughing. Its all so false and shes making out were the bad ones.
Im concerned that shes lying like thus as its not right!
What does the section 7 report include,whats the process?

roadwalker Sun 09-Feb-14 10:52:22

She sounds terrible
I cannot imagine any court granting contact as it would not be in your DS's interest
How stressful for you. She sounds like she wants to control you all

prh47bridge Sun 09-Feb-14 10:42:40

She will look pretty silly if she does not get contact. I suspect she thinks that having won the right to apply for contact means she will automatically get it. She is wrong.

A section 7 report is a detailed report about your children's welfare.

luckz666 Sun 09-Feb-14 10:05:20

After attending court the decision was made to allow her to make an application to the court for contact,even though the cafcass report stated it may cause emotional upset to our sin which we are shocked by.
Since then she has been telling people that she has won the case and has contact in a centre every 6 weeks.
Is there anything we can do to stop her from telling rubbish?
Cafcass now have to complete a section 7 report.
What is this?

happymummy00 Thu 02-Jan-14 22:06:03

Luckz666 i just wondered how you are getting on with this as i am going through something similar x

HappyCliffmas Sun 08-Dec-13 21:09:03

Just wanting to wish you luck OP.

luckz666 Fri 06-Dec-13 17:39:39

Yes we have a very strong relationship with other members of the families mine and his but just not her. I doubt she will back down even though I wish she would

plentyofsoap Fri 06-Dec-13 11:07:55

I can understand that feeling. She may back down when she realises the huge cost. We have since moved house and its good to know she doesnt know where we are. She contacted my work a few times to let me know she is dying (she has been for years) and got her friend to write to me. Ignore everything. Are other family members around?

luckz666 Fri 06-Dec-13 11:01:18

Yes,she sold her house a few years back and retired so has her pension. I really think she is doing it because she wants to get back into my other halfs life and cause trouble also because we told her no!
We will do everything we have to and if it means moving away we have considered that too.

plentyofsoap Fri 06-Dec-13 09:45:34

Given that she should not have contact as it is emotionally distressing for him, as it was for me. I think they do it for control and not in the interest of the child. Can she actually afford to take it to court?

luckz666 Fri 06-Dec-13 08:48:32

She had already interfered with a previous relationship of his and ruined it and also as a child she used to have so many men round the house. He got bullied at school because of this and therefore almost got expelled.
she tried to split us up when we got together but fortunatly we were stronger and it didnt work. We cut all ties.
My other half doesnt even call her mum and gets emotionally upset just thinking of what could happen.

plentyofsoap Fri 06-Dec-13 08:00:00

I am not surprised. Just the thought of my mother having contact made me feel sick. If you object totally I really cannot see how they can force contact. She is not a parent and has no established relationship. I looked into alot when it happened to me and I think the threat of court was a way of them getting me to come to an agreement. They are not going to sent you to prision for refusing!
My mother has mh issues which are very serious along with a history of domestic abuse both physical and emotional. No court would allow contact at the risk of a child coming to harm especially if the parents informed them of this. Did your partner experience this?

luckz666 Fri 06-Dec-13 07:26:41

Yes we are both sure that we do not want her to have any contact. Were just dreading court

plentyofsoap Thu 05-Dec-13 10:22:19

It must be be very stressful for you. I had this off my mother about five years ago a couple of weeks after giving birth. I had no contact with her for a very long time and never will. We just ignored her in the end she has no rights. I would no be surprised if she tried again though. Your dh stopped contact for a very good reason I'm sure. My dh has never met her so how could he judge her to be a positive influence? I would not allow any contact at all and stick with that decision.

luckz666 Wed 04-Dec-13 19:30:14

The woman was nice but didnt seem very interested. She just asked if we opposed the application which we do and some safeguarding questions like is there domestic violence etc.
she said next week we have to present case to judge and go from there.

karmakameleon Wed 04-Dec-13 12:18:22

How did the call from Cafcass go yesterday? Hope it was ok.

luckz666 Mon 02-Dec-13 11:26:47

I am absolutely dreading the phone call with Cafcass tomorrow! I am just worried that i will forget everything i need to say! sad

luckz666 Fri 22-Nov-13 07:56:08

Had a letter yesterday from cafcass saying that the court date has been rearranged as the time scale to complete paperwork is too short.
they are calling me on 10th december and court date is tbc.

luckz666 Mon 18-Nov-13 12:36:57

Thanks again karma! I dont mind telling them everything as i would rather they know. We are attending on 27th and its really taking its toll! I am stressing so much I could cry as think about it.
I have wrote everything down to ensure i dont forget anything.
Thanks for all your advise!

eurochick Mon 18-Nov-13 08:52:52

I'd say the way she treated your partner is material to why you don't want her in your son's life, so I would have thought it would be a good idea to disclose this.

Before the call I would suggest writing down all the points you want to get across (bullet point reminders).

The key thing is that this is about your child's rights, not hers. Is it in your son's best interests to have a relationship with this person? You need to keep this in mind throughout.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now