Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

Grandparents Rights - court proceedings

(55 Posts)
luckz666 Mon 11-Nov-13 07:20:03

Me and my fiance have a 18 month old son and have just received court proceedings from his mum (our sons grandmother) for a defined contact order.we have not spoken to her in 12 years as she caused a lot of trouble in the early part of our relationship.when we had our son she then pushed letters through my parents door where i lived demanding she saw him.i am not entitled to legal aid and cant afford a solicitor so will be representing ourselves in court.Any ideas what to expect or what to do! Im am terrified!

luckz666 Mon 10-Feb-14 12:16:27

Just had a call from cafcass to arrange a section 7 report. She told me we need to attend an appointment at her office and would need to bring our son and speak to myself and my partner separatly for an hour each.
What type of things do they ask and why do we need to take our son?
Im dreading it!

luckz666 Mon 17-Feb-14 08:24:04

Does anyone know what a cafcass section 7 report involves?
We have to take my son to their offices be interviewed for an hour on my own then my other half on his own for an hour.
They also want to meet our son.
Im terrified of this!

prh47bridge Mon 17-Feb-14 09:02:16

CAFCASS will report on the welfare of your son and make recommendations based on what they believe to be his best interests. They will recommend whether or not contact should take place and, if so, the amount and kind of contact. The judge does not have to follow the CAFCASS recommendations.

justtoomessy Mon 17-Feb-14 20:39:07

I am amazed that despite you having had no contact for 12 years they have granted her leave to apply for contact. That must be very hard for you and I would tell them everything for the section 7 report.

luckz666 Tue 18-Feb-14 10:33:51

Yes we will tell the cafcass officer everything.
The judge said that even though there is conflict between us and her it shouldnt prevent her from applying.
Thing is she is now telling people we know that she has been granted contact and gets to see our son via a contact centre.
Its frightening what shes doing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now