Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Child support and child trust fund advice please

(12 Posts)
RedRaw Tue 22-Oct-13 15:24:38

His monthly take home pay is around £6200 after tax. Yes he was always controlling. However he does contribute £230 from a salary sacrifice scheme in child care vouchers. He has no other children in his home.

prh47bridge Tue 22-Oct-13 12:43:27

He's paying your children less than he should

That depends on whether or not the OP has calculated the CSA/CMS amount correctly.

He is currently paying £800 per month for 3 children. Assuming he is not supporting the children of his current partner (if he has one), he is not paying anything into a pension and he has the children for less than 52 nights per year that equates to a salary of around £50,500 on the gross income scheme used by the CMS.

haverer Tue 22-Oct-13 10:44:01

He's paying your children less than he should. That immediately marks him out as not a good guy. He's also deducting money for ridiculous reasons. Child maintenance is about paying for the upkeep of a child. Not to out in savings for a lump sum for when they are adults. He's taking away your decision-making powers about how to budget. Was he always this controlling? Are you scared to go to the CSA?

prh47bridge Tue 22-Oct-13 10:00:01

If you are unwilling to go to the CSA it is entirely up to you to decide whether or not what he is doing is acceptable. The courts won't get involved. Your only options are to accept his actions or persuade him to change.

RedRaw Tue 22-Oct-13 08:25:19

Yes, I just wanted to know if what my ex has done is acceptable

balia Mon 21-Oct-13 22:50:28

Is there a reason you don't want to use the CSA? Is it just the likely fall-out?

RedRaw Mon 21-Oct-13 21:03:50

CSA calculator worked out as£297 per week.

balia Mon 21-Oct-13 20:32:57

No, he doesn't get to save for the kids out of your money. Is this the first time he's done this?

Do you know what he earns? You could use the CSA calculator to work it out.

RedRaw Mon 21-Oct-13 19:57:56

I worked it out as£297 per week. He was paying £1000 pcm.

RedRaw Mon 21-Oct-13 19:43:15

We disagree on this one, I think it should be more he thinks less, so 2 years ago we agreed on an amount. I don't know the exact amount.

greenfolder Mon 21-Oct-13 19:11:31

How much would he have to pay through CSA?

RedRaw Mon 21-Oct-13 19:01:33

I have been separated almost 3years, ex has been paying child support of £1000pcm by a family arrangement. Last month he reduced the amount by £200, and gave a reason: £50 to his parents for travel expenses and £50 each into the 3 DCs child trust funds.

I disputed this as I meet his parents half way, and it's 65 miles only. I also feel that if he rushes to save for the kids, that's fine but it shouldn't be enforced in me.

I really don't want to go down the CSA route.

I would appreciate any advice, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now