Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

Car has hit my car. Their fault, who's insurance company do I go through?

(21 Posts)
VivaLeThrustBadger Sun 20-Oct-13 11:02:15

My car was parked on my drive. Another car has come along and smashed into a parked car on the road and shunted it into my car. Two other cars are write offs, mine has a superficial scuff along front bumpers.

Will it all go through their insurance company or do I need to ring mine? I know if it goes through mine even though my ncb is protected and it was the other drivers fault then my premiums will still go up as ill be deemed to be a higher risk. Had this before and don't want it again. I'm considering not getting it fixed if that's going to happen.

RevelsRoulette Sun 20-Oct-13 11:05:39

I think you are supposed to inform your insurance company, aren't you? They claim off the other person's insurance and sort you out. That's always been my understanding, although I may be wrong.

Insurance companies charge you more if someone else damaged your car and you were in no way at fault? That can't be legal, surely? That's outrageous. How can they justify that?

VivaLeThrustBadger Sun 20-Oct-13 11:08:33

Dunno but they do.

My insurance company said my premium was going up by £30 after a scaffolding pole fell off a truck onto my car. The van was found to be at fault and their insurance paid. My insurance said if it had been my fault the premium would have gone up more.

Had the same happen when a van reversed into the side of my parked car.

And I have 11years protected no claims bonus but my insurance co says the ncb doesn't relate to all your premium and if I've been hit once I'm n more likely to be hit again.

Insurance companies are thieving bastards. If the damage is superficial try and get the other party to just pay for the repair.

LegoAcupuncture Sun 20-Oct-13 11:11:02

You go through your insurance as they claim on your behalf. Your premiums shouldn't go up though.

I had a non fault crash a few weeks ago and my insurance company said it wouldn't affect my premiums due to it being other drivers fault.

Yes it's shit isn't it? My dh had a woman drive into him - well, technically he drove into her. He was going straight on at a junction and she was the oncoming vehicle and just turned right straight in front of him and then she slammed on in panic and he just went straight into her. In front of a police station with witnesses etc and the police said it was clearly her fault as she went when it wasn't safe. Our insurance company said it was a no fault claim so all costs would be reclaimed trough her insurance company which they were. But what happened when it came to renew the policy? Yes, the premiums had gone up. Ridiculous rip off.

Hope you get round it - we were left out of pocket as our car was a right off so had to get a new one. Our old car was nearly 10 years old, had never broken down and we had really looked after it. Had bought it for a bargain too, and we just couldn't find similar when it came to replacing it. In the end we had to buy a newer one, which of course meant we had to top up with money from our savings. I am still seething 4 years later.

TensionSquealsGhoulsHeels Sun 20-Oct-13 11:14:15

What information do you have on the car that caused the accident? While technically you are supposed to inform your insurer, you can pursue your claim directly from the fault car's insurer. Problem is if you don't have the ins details you'd have to get your own ins co to find that out for you.

Ps Our newer replacement car was a much lower spec and smaller engine size, and way lower insurance group, so I queried the increase in premium and the insurance bloke sheepishly said that even though it wasn't dh's fault, he was now deemed to be slightly higher risk. Pah! Awful....

Maybe they put it up to try and stop people who commit those fraudulent accidents?

RevelsRoulette Sun 20-Oct-13 11:16:32

I can't believe they can get away with it. We should make a big fuss about this sort of thing! Basically then, someone could decide to drive onto your property and repeatedly ram your car and the insurance company would charge you for it?

Bonkers.

VivaLeThrustBadger Sun 20-Oct-13 11:35:07

Been out looking at the damage with my neighbour. Have decided I'm not going to claim. I know I'll be out of pocket if I do, plus the hassle of having to get the car picked up/dropped off/having a courtesy car. Can't face it.

TensionSquealsGhoulsHeels Sun 20-Oct-13 11:43:47

Viva, did the police attend?

VivaLeThrustBadger Sun 20-Oct-13 11:48:10

Yes, though at the time we didnt realise my car had been hit. Since the police left my neighbour has moved their car and it looks like mines been hit, neighbour agrees.

I rang the police and told them. Police officer who attended told me I could get the reg details and incident number from my neighbour if I wanted to. And just to ring my insurance company if I wanted to.

TensionSquealsGhoulsHeels Sun 20-Oct-13 11:53:04

Do you think your neighbour would get the insurance details of the other car from his insurer, so you could contact them direct? Might be one way round reporting it to your own ins co. Take photos of your car, it's damage, before you move it.

VivaLeThrustBadger Sun 20-Oct-13 12:01:25

I've taken lots of photos. Both of the damage close up and where my car is parked. I also took some photos of the tiny gap between my car and my neighbours before they moved theirs.

My neighbour doesn't know the other drivers insurance company. He said he's just hoping they're insured which isn't something that had crossed my mind.

TensionSquealsGhoulsHeels Sun 20-Oct-13 12:22:34

Has your neighbour reported it to his insurer? You basically need to get an insurer to do an MID check on the reg no to get the ins co details, to then approach them direct. If there is no ins, then you approach the MIB as they deal with claims where there is no ins cover.

VivaLeThrustBadger Sun 20-Oct-13 12:24:05

Yes he has. I guess once he knows the insurance details I can approach them directly.

TensionSquealsGhoulsHeels Sun 20-Oct-13 12:25:09

That is probably your best option to get the info you need to approach them direct without involving your own ins co.

specialsubject Sun 20-Oct-13 12:39:32

go through your insurance, that's what you pay them for. You'll regret not doing so if/when someone starts messing you about.

shouldn't affect no claims, your car was parked and empty at the time.

been there.

greenfolder Sun 20-Oct-13 21:36:42

www.askmid.com/

you can get their insurance details here for a small fee as long as you have their reg

HTH

unadulterateddad Wed 23-Oct-13 23:19:45

and remember regardless of whether you actually claim through your insurers you still need to advise them of the incident. Best just to give them a call and say for info only.

peggyundercrackers Fri 25-Oct-13 12:13:10

i would only go through their insurance. we have had 2 instances in the last 6 months/year where we have been hit, we have told our insurers but only so they know we have been hit, but have only dealt with the other insurance company. the other company have arranged a hire car, let us put our car to a garage we want to go to and have been really good. we have had no problems doing this and our premiums were not affected.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now