Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Tradesmen & shoddy work - Where do we stand?

(2 Posts)
ellie19812 Sat 19-Oct-13 12:48:51

My DM has been having her kitchen done up. Materials purchased from a company, all fine, work to be carried out by 2 independent tradesmen.

To cut a long story short, it has turned into a bit of a disaster. Cabinets fitted far too low, cooker put in wrong place, work top is not level, kitchen sink not attached correctly, wires hanging out - The lot!! The workmen have offered to correct their mistakes (basically all the work that has been carried out so far), but my mum is not keen for them to do that as they just keep making things worse - She has lost faith in their ability to do a good job.

She has not paid them for any work so far (materials were obviously paid for up front). Would she be within her rights to NOT pay them anything at all, and to put the money towards getting someone else in to do the job?

Is there a correct procedure she needs to follow?

This has been long awaited and she has used her savings to pay for it so it isn't something she can shrug off really.

Bubbless Sat 19-Oct-13 18:08:48

Might be worth going to citizens advice? Sorry I can't offer any more help but hope you get it sorted sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now