Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

Is this legal for a school to ask this?

(42 Posts)
TimeIsAnIllusion Thu 17-Oct-13 15:40:04

Is it legal that a school can ask to see a child's prescription or a doctors note to back up a parents claim that the child was off school sick?
Surely this is an infringement of privacy regarding medical records?

ivykaty44 Fri 18-Oct-13 08:01:48

Legally I guess you could wait till the sat's are over in year 6 and then take your dc out of school and say you are home schooling them/moving them to alternative education, no one can stop you and you can still keep your place for secondary in the september.

Yes, probably, ivykaty! grin

ivykaty44 Thu 17-Oct-13 22:28:30

it was only what 4 years ago with swine flu gp's were asking parents not to take the dc to the practice but to keep them home and isolated so it didn't spread...

I bet year 6 will become the year that dc are taken out of school at the end of the summer term - as they will not be returning

ExcuseTypos Thu 17-Oct-13 22:18:46

Bit what happens of they don't see the Dr?

Mine were off with bad coughs/colds etc which we didn't see the dr about.

It's probably just a warning to the parents whose DC's illnesses coincide with the end of term in July and the start of term in Sept.

exexpat Thu 17-Oct-13 22:10:47

I hardly ever take the DCs to the doctors, as in my experience (and going by the NHS website etc) most minor illnesses are self-limiting and do not need to be dealt with by a doctor, even things like tonsillitis which make children too unwell for school. If it is something like D&V/norovirus, they positively beg you not to go near the surgery so that you don't spread it to other people.

In any case, it is almost impossible round here to see a doctor when you need one. I recently tried to get a doctor's appointment for DS - tried on the Monday, first available appointment was on Friday, by which time he was better anyway, so I cancelled it. I hope some lucky person who called at the right moment got a last-minute appointment as a result.

If schools are now demanding that parents take children to the doctor for every minor illness just to get proof, that is going to bugger up the system even more and make it harder for people who genuinely do need to see a doctor to get an appointment.

lborolass Thu 17-Oct-13 22:06:25

If all the local schools have sent out the same letter they are probably doing it to appease Ofsted, it's not meant to be personal to you. I'd just file it and forget about it, feeling insulted just seems a waste of your energy.

ivykaty44 Thu 17-Oct-13 22:03:17

Schools don't want unauthorised absent children - so it is in their own interests to not mark them down in this way.

What are the school going to do if you don't get a note from the gp?

It's not the Govt, it's the individual school's interpretation of Govt guidance.

TimeIsAnIllusion Thu 17-Oct-13 21:17:03

Just to reiterate, my children rarely have any time off ever - I was writing this thread after reading a letter (blanket letter) that went to all parents the week after the school was ofsted'd.
The school doesn't have an attendance issue but this seems to be new government policy along with no holidays in term time or maybe it's lea policy? I'm unsure but it follows a recent ofsted. Other schools locally have also sent similar letters out.
As a mother I feel the government is giving me the message that my word will not be good enough, that I am not fit to decide if my children are poorly enough to be off school without checking with a dr first.
It just seems over the top that schools can send such letters out as a blanket statement. I feel insulted that my word isn't good enough.

Anniemousse Thu 17-Oct-13 20:57:40

Jeez molding that sounds harsh. However, I would carry on acting as I believed to reasonable (tested before AIBU jury if necessary grin )

What does it matter if they get an unauthorised abscence? I am a bit 'so what?' It matters to the school, as I believe they get financially penalised for unauthorised over a certain %age. (Is that right?)

What does impact does that have on a family who have a good attendance? I imagine the welfare officers would get a bit peed off getting referrals for such cases.

Let school get their knickers in a twist, if their policy is unreasonable, I won't.

It's not a legal requirement, it should be in the Attendance Policy agreed by the Governing Body but if the school want to they can mark sickness absence down as 'unauthorised' if they don't see proof.

PortoFiendo Thu 17-Oct-13 19:25:25

Ha - in Belgium you get one day without a doctors note - work and school. It is normally possible to actually see the doctor though. I would not fret about providing that info to school. How awful could it be?

hettienne Thu 17-Oct-13 19:23:20

My workplace asks why you are off but you self-certify if less than 7 days.

moldingsunbeams Thu 17-Oct-13 19:19:34

Asking genuinely btw I do not know.

moldingsunbeams Thu 17-Oct-13 19:18:29

Do a work place not just ask for proof that you are ill and how long you are going to be off for, do they actually ask why you were off, what condition and what medicine.

SPBisResisting Thu 17-Oct-13 18:32:44

How can it be an invasion of privacy when workplaces ask for the same?

YoureBeingADick Thu 17-Oct-13 18:30:58

Ah! Didnt realise there was a fee for the dr note. Ive never had one.

Slight tangent but how the hell have we got to a point where schools are holding parents to ransom over 'proof' of minor illnesses? This is bloody ridiculous. Yes i get that so e parents are crap at getting their dcs to school but the vast majority of people want their dcs in school and dont want to have to take days off work to have a pretend sick child at home. This is bollocks that schools are now expecting this level of proof. If there is a concern then inform the relevant agency dont have parents stressing over finding money to pay unnecessary sick notes and clogging up precious gp time!

lborolass Thu 17-Oct-13 18:29:39

I'm not clear if you've already been asked to produce any evidence, if not yet then tbh it sounds like you're looking for problems and for something to complain about.

If/when it actually happens the school will have more experience of the new rules and will no doubt have found a workable solution. These new rules will take some getting used to and it's hardly likely that parents will all be forced to visit GPs and pay for sick notes for every cold and bug going round.

bigTillyMint Thu 17-Oct-13 18:24:11

I have never heard of this before.
Is it a new system that they are warning you about or is it actually your DC that they want to see the medicine for?

moldingsunbeams Thu 17-Oct-13 18:23:59

Annie someone on a different thread thought they could do it when convenient but got an unauthorised absence because school took child to hospital and child missed next day at school, parent didnt think to get a note and when asked by school was going to get one to give in Monday, This was Friday but school said it wasn't quick enough hmm

moldingsunbeams Thu 17-Oct-13 18:21:09

Not everyone can afford to pay £30 for a doctors note or letter though and I do not think we should reach a point where families on low income are having to decide between food or bills and the cost of a doctors letter to proof a child was ill.

If they are going to start this they are going to have to introduce some sort of self certified note for children.

Helpyourself Thu 17-Oct-13 17:53:17

You could show them the a photocopy or photo of the prescription with the child's name and date, but not medicine.
Blummin cheek though!

YoureBeingADick Thu 17-Oct-13 17:51:46

what not why.

YoureBeingADick Thu 17-Oct-13 17:51:28

I would think a prescription isnt why they need to see as not a illnesses require a prescription. Doctors note/letter would be sufficient.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now