Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Is this legal for a school to ask this?

(42 Posts)
TimeIsAnIllusion Thu 17-Oct-13 15:40:04

Is it legal that a school can ask to see a child's prescription or a doctors note to back up a parents claim that the child was off school sick?
Surely this is an infringement of privacy regarding medical records?

SPBisResisting Thu 17-Oct-13 18:32:44

How can it be an invasion of privacy when workplaces ask for the same?

moldingsunbeams Thu 17-Oct-13 19:18:29

Do a work place not just ask for proof that you are ill and how long you are going to be off for, do they actually ask why you were off, what condition and what medicine.

moldingsunbeams Thu 17-Oct-13 19:19:34

Asking genuinely btw I do not know.

hettienne Thu 17-Oct-13 19:23:20

My workplace asks why you are off but you self-certify if less than 7 days.

PortoFiendo Thu 17-Oct-13 19:25:25

Ha - in Belgium you get one day without a doctors note - work and school. It is normally possible to actually see the doctor though. I would not fret about providing that info to school. How awful could it be?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Anniemousse Thu 17-Oct-13 20:57:40

Jeez molding that sounds harsh. However, I would carry on acting as I believed to reasonable (tested before AIBU jury if necessary grin )

What does it matter if they get an unauthorised abscence? I am a bit 'so what?' It matters to the school, as I believe they get financially penalised for unauthorised over a certain %age. (Is that right?)

What does impact does that have on a family who have a good attendance? I imagine the welfare officers would get a bit peed off getting referrals for such cases.

Let school get their knickers in a twist, if their policy is unreasonable, I won't.

TimeIsAnIllusion Thu 17-Oct-13 21:17:03

Just to reiterate, my children rarely have any time off ever - I was writing this thread after reading a letter (blanket letter) that went to all parents the week after the school was ofsted'd.
The school doesn't have an attendance issue but this seems to be new government policy along with no holidays in term time or maybe it's lea policy? I'm unsure but it follows a recent ofsted. Other schools locally have also sent similar letters out.
As a mother I feel the government is giving me the message that my word will not be good enough, that I am not fit to decide if my children are poorly enough to be off school without checking with a dr first.
It just seems over the top that schools can send such letters out as a blanket statement. I feel insulted that my word isn't good enough.

ivykaty44 Thu 17-Oct-13 22:03:17

Schools don't want unauthorised absent children - so it is in their own interests to not mark them down in this way.

What are the school going to do if you don't get a note from the gp?

lborolass Thu 17-Oct-13 22:06:25

If all the local schools have sent out the same letter they are probably doing it to appease Ofsted, it's not meant to be personal to you. I'd just file it and forget about it, feeling insulted just seems a waste of your energy.

exexpat Thu 17-Oct-13 22:10:47

I hardly ever take the DCs to the doctors, as in my experience (and going by the NHS website etc) most minor illnesses are self-limiting and do not need to be dealt with by a doctor, even things like tonsillitis which make children too unwell for school. If it is something like D&V/norovirus, they positively beg you not to go near the surgery so that you don't spread it to other people.

In any case, it is almost impossible round here to see a doctor when you need one. I recently tried to get a doctor's appointment for DS - tried on the Monday, first available appointment was on Friday, by which time he was better anyway, so I cancelled it. I hope some lucky person who called at the right moment got a last-minute appointment as a result.

If schools are now demanding that parents take children to the doctor for every minor illness just to get proof, that is going to bugger up the system even more and make it harder for people who genuinely do need to see a doctor to get an appointment.

ExcuseTypos Thu 17-Oct-13 22:18:46

Bit what happens of they don't see the Dr?

Mine were off with bad coughs/colds etc which we didn't see the dr about.

ivykaty44 Thu 17-Oct-13 22:28:30

it was only what 4 years ago with swine flu gp's were asking parents not to take the dc to the practice but to keep them home and isolated so it didn't spread...

I bet year 6 will become the year that dc are taken out of school at the end of the summer term - as they will not be returning

ivykaty44 Fri 18-Oct-13 08:01:48

Legally I guess you could wait till the sat's are over in year 6 and then take your dc out of school and say you are home schooling them/moving them to alternative education, no one can stop you and you can still keep your place for secondary in the september.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now