Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

Child Safety

(5 Posts)
Mumya Wed 18-Sep-13 21:51:26

Hi I am new here but I ask you for your thoughts?

My son is 12 and is the subject of a court order. I moved out of London and he now has a contact order. His Father is refusing to pick him up now by train as he doesn't drive and expects him to make the journey himself all alone for 2 hours. I ask the court to put it in the order than he would share the journeys so I didnt have to do them all anymore.

Please can you let me know as a general idea of how many mums would let their child do this?

I do not feel happy or safe to do this but will be breaking the court order if I dont let him go??? I have never not facilitated contact in 6 years but I feel this is too much for our son and only benefits his Father?

Please help
xx

medhandthekiddiesvtheworld Wed 18-Sep-13 23:24:01

he is 12, are there changes or is it a through train, I feel , as the most cuatious parent in the world ever, I would allow this - but dad would have to pick up at the change point

kittycat68 Thu 19-Sep-13 10:26:11

what does it exactly say in the order OP?
i wouldnt have thought many parents would let thier 12 year old travel by train on thier own for 2 hours! i certainly wouldnt, and i wouldnt have thought a court would expect that either.

Collaborate Thu 19-Sep-13 11:30:59

If you moved before the court order I'd expect that the order would make clear where the responsibility lies re collection and return. Usually the parent who moves away has to shoulder most of the burden, but that's not a hard and fast rule.

millymolls Thu 19-Sep-13 16:16:32

from a non legal perspective i think it would depend on how mature and responsible my son was and how complicated the journey. i.e. if he is mature and you could see him onto the train at one end, and his dad pick him up the other and all he had to do was sit there with his nintendo DS or something then probably i would let him.
if the answer is that he is young for his age, or has a complicated set of changes then probably not.
However, why wont your ex travel to meet him at least half way?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now