Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Knocked off my bike

(38 Posts)
springyduffy Tue 17-Sep-13 14:24:23

Yesterday I jumped some lights and a car hit me side-on. He said he was blinded by the sun. He took a while to get out of the car, I was on my feet and with the help of concerned bystanders had got to the island in the middle of the road with my bike by the time he got out, wearing sunglasses. I didn't get a good look at him because of the sunglasses. It is a troubled, druggy area near the centre of the city - riots not too long ago - but also a grungy/arty area. There is extensive cctv at that junction.

yy I shouldn't have jumped the lights - it is a busy junction and I am always nervous about pulling out with the traffic bearing down on me, so pulled out at the 'green man' for the walkers (though not for cyclists). It was essentially my fault.

In the 'peace, man' spirit of the area, I asked him to pay for my wheel, he very reluctantly agreed - twice. I had an appt to get to and didn't hang around, just took his number. I was fine, just bruised (almost went under the car). A community policewoman got involved and I left. She asked my surname and I gave it to her.

He has apparently filed it with the police and is harassing me today with repeated texts to give me his address to send insurance claim, saying his car is extensively damaged (I saw it up close from the ground in front of it and I certainly didn't see evidence of extensive damage). I have replied that I am not insured - not many cyclists are. I have also said he is wasting his time as he will be deemed culpable for not driving with due care. He is quoting me chapter and verse that I've got that wrong.

I'd like him to just bugger off.

should I go to the police to log the accident? Or ignore his texts?

springyduffy Tue 17-Sep-13 15:20:10

Good post SDTG. That about sums it up.

Possibly I live in a city that fights to be recognised as the top cycling city in the country. I have heard repeated anecdotes since the accident that so-and-so's grandmother's brother's son's nephew had an accident on his bike and the motorist was deemed culpable for not 'driving with due care'.

cyclist-bashing, let's leave that out eh. I am a motorist and a cyclist and ime of cycling, motorists can be extremely dangerous around cyclists.

Which doesn't apply to this situ. I was an idiot.

Idespair Tue 17-Sep-13 15:20:17

Scratches and dents may not look much on a car but can be expensive to repair.

I can't believe you jumped a light and then asked the driver to pay for your wheel. If I was that driver, I would have reported this whole incident to the police and the insurance company.

lljkk Tue 17-Sep-13 15:41:05

I'm not sure what OP is asking for. How to get out of paying for the guy's repair bills? Yes I would probably log my version of what happened with police to protect my interests. But I'd probably offer to settle out of court, too. If motorist ran a light (he must have?) then he has little chance of a successful claim.

We are CTC members so of course we're insured cyclists. Not that difficult to ensure.

springyduffy Tue 17-Sep-13 17:24:06

I think OP knows she was an idiot - I'll ask her to confirm the next time I see her.

OP doesn't know if he was already motoring when the lights turned green or if he was at a standstill at the red light, and took off when the light when green. His speed would suggest he was motoring.

OP has sent him an apologetic text didn't mean to but sent when she was editing so has accepted providence . OP knows she was in the wrong on many counts. She is currently eating humble pie and hopes the whole thing won't be too expensive and drawn out.

ShowOfHands Tue 17-Sep-13 17:28:01

There are as many bad cyclists as there are bad car drivers. It's not the vehicle, it's the person propelling it. It amazes me that a cyclist can make such silly decisions though. You're so vulnerable on a bike. Jumping a red light is ridiculous.

You are within your rights to ask the driver to obtain three independent quotes for repair and if I were you, I'd pay for it if, as it seems, he was driving through a green light. You are at fault and you damaged his property. You are extremely lucky not to be hurt more seriously.

I'd advise cycling more sensibly and getting cycle insurance too.

OP seems like a pretty reasonable person. smile

springyduffy Tue 17-Sep-13 17:34:57

OP thanks all for the very sensible advice to be sensible and cycle sensibly in future. OP usually does cycle sensibly, in fact could win an award for sensible cycling. But on that day, OP was not sensible and made a silly mistake. OP knows this. OP knows she is lucky to be alive. OP is battling visions of the car radiator bearing down on her and I think OP has got the message. OP is contrite.

springyduffy Tue 17-Sep-13 17:37:42

She is fab, you should meet her, you'd like her and her sensibleness (usually) smile

ShowOfHands Tue 17-Sep-13 17:48:15

Is OP sure OP doesn't need to be checked out for head injuries? grin

Well done OP btw for being contrite. You are a Good Person who made a Wrong Decision. That was my best Mum Voice. Did you like it?

She'd be welcome to drop in for coffee and a cupcake, if she is ever in the Paisley area! She should hurry, though, because the cupcakes are going fast because this poster is capable of eating her own, not inconsiderable, body weight in sponge and buttercream. grin

AuntieMaggie Tue 17-Sep-13 17:58:32

Well judging by what it cost me for a car I scratched in a car park recently it could be a lot more than the excess to repair his car. And as a PCSO was present I assume the accident may have already now been logged with the police so you should probably talk to them and then pay for his damage.

canyou Tue 17-Sep-13 20:59:11

Glad you are OK, but plse do not believe that the law would side with you. DP had an accident were a cyclists went through a red light and hit DP's car causing £2000 damage (2 new doors and respray) they had to pay up. Also my Cousin is a triathlon competitor and hit a white van last month, wrote off his bike and collar bone and it will be my cousins insurance who will be paying out. Insurance for a bike is pennies compared to a car and I would advise if you are a regular cyclist it might be worth investing in.
Will your house is insurance help advise you? Get a number of quotes if you are paying as DP was given wildly varying quotes and one place thought he should write off the car.

springyduffy Tue 17-Sep-13 22:30:00

OP's accidental but sincere text has had no response. Maybe the man is thinking aha! evidence! or maybe the man is assuaged. OP is hoping it will be the latter especially as she accidentally proclaimed her (true) contrition, so she wasn't angling for A Result. OP suspects there was no, or little, damage to the man's car; that the man was so incensed by OP's request for a new wheel that he thought he would Teach OP A Lesson. OP has learnt that Valuable Lesson. But OP could be wrong about the damage to the man's car and she could get a shock in the post. Or a knock at the door. She is worried about this. It was OP's birthday on the day she was knocked off her bike and she is fed up that it happened, especially on that day, and that she was silly, and distracted with thoughts of her own birthday. So she hopes that is the end of the sorry affair for all concerned.

OP also ate her body weight in cake on that day. But it was birthday cake, so she's allowed. She is not sure she has any space left for cupcakes and it is no longer her birthday so she would have no good excuse. OP says go ahead and eat the cupcakes, don't wait for her. She also says Paisley is a bit far off but she is grateful for the invitation and if there is another opportunity to let her know. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now