Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

going through court, dna test, legal aid?

(6 Posts)
mummy22girls1013 Mon 16-Sep-13 10:44:35

my ex applied to court to see our eldest daughter only, we both currently get legal aid as he applied just before it stopped, we also have a 6 month old together who he denys is his and refuses to have a dna test. can i apply to court for a dna test? would i have to pay for it? im guessing i would as it would be classed as a new case i think

benfoldsfive Mon 16-Sep-13 12:28:19

Is he not named on her Birth certificate then?

As i understand it: Apply for maintenance via the CSA if he denies parentage he will have to do a DNA test. If it comes back he is the father, he will pay the cost. If he isn't you will have to pay (unless you are on benefits).

Collaborate Mon 16-Sep-13 16:06:16

Your legal aid will only be for the child the subject of the application. You'll have to issue a separate application for this child.

mummy22girls1013 Mon 16-Sep-13 20:52:23

and legal aid has stopped now hasnt it so i would havw to pay for the application and dna? any idea how much that would be?

mummy22girls1013 Mon 16-Sep-13 21:00:05

just wanted to add that last month my solicitor told me that my ex would be able to apply for contact for the baby and then a dna without having to pay (he chose not to do this though) through legal aid even though legal aid stopped in april (i think) so how come he could start a seperate application through legal aid but i cant?
sorry im just so upset at him denying our baby but wanting to see our eldest i just want her to know the truth

betterthanever Tue 17-Sep-13 19:50:34

I am not legally trained but very aware of a recent case like yours - she did not have to issue a seerpate application - she mentioned the other child during the case about the older one, a DNA test was ordered by the court - he was the father - his words were `I am gutted' the judge was appauled - he continued to say he only wanted contact with the eldest - no contact ordered for both children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now