Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

someone wants to write a book about my angel sons. i do not want this to happen.

(26 Posts)

I have posted this question on bereavement as I didn't know there was a legal message board www.mumsnet.com/Talk/bereavement/1850117-fuming-need-advice-almost-in-tears

last year, 31st may 2012, I had identical twin boys who were born sleeping.
My Dh's best friend and his girlfriend came to the cremation and we see them off and on. anyway the girlfriend has decided that my angel twins sons are the perfect subject matter for her first book, (she is not a professional but she hopes to be) which she hopes to publish. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening?? She wants (I believe) to use their first names, and obviously their/my/our story and my dh and I have voiced our opinion loudly that we would not like her to do this.
I have an appointment with the c.a.b Next thursday but I don't know where else to go from here. If you could please give me some advice I would very much appreciate it.
Kate.

eatyourveg Fri 29-Nov-13 09:33:39

This happened with my family, though not in such a close and painful way as your experience. Earlier this year a woman published a fictional narrative about my grandmother (no name changes) - she didn't tell any of us - I only heard about it because someone tweeted it.

My grandmother's brother is quite renowned and the author wanted to tell the story of what happened to him through the eyes of his younger sister. Its not the first time its been done - there are 3 "story books" out there that I know of, none of which have name changed. Only once were we consulted when a man wrote to us for permission and asking for help as it was a biography.

It seems though that anyone can write anything they want and call it a story and no-one has to consult anyone.

So sorry for your loss and I really hope your friend changes her mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now