Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Sonographer didn't see that the baby had a rare chromosomal disorder which was not compatible with life

(31 Posts)
Kloenina Thu 12-Sep-13 11:20:46

Hello Ladies
I am new here and I need some advice on how should I proceed or what can I do.
Here is my case, I got pregnant in november with end of august due date. The pregnancy went fine I had three scans on the first scan the sonographer couldn't take baby's measures and I have seen a consultant 2 weeks later and she said that everything is fine. Then I had a scan at 20 weeks the sonographer couldn't take the measurements again she has seen me 2 times that day and took the measurements in the end and she said that everything was fine and the baby is developing normally. The pregnancy went fine afterwords until I started to feel bad on the 7th month I started to have high blood pressure, I went to hospital and was put on medication but my pre-eclamsia got worse and they have done a Doppler and saw that the blood is not going normally to the baby through the placenta. I had a c section and when the baby was born the doctors started to see that something was not right with her. She was transferred to a different hospital because she needed an operation whilst I stayed in the same hospital because I had eclampsia and it was unsafe. I didn't see my baby for two days, when I went to the hospital where my baby was I was told that the ADN results came back and that she had a chromosomal disorder that is not compatible with life. My baby died 4 days later and I was left with emptiness in my life. Friends keep telling me to sue the hospital but I don't know if that is going to help me in any way. Has somebody gone thru something like that, what are the consequences.

closedtonewbusiness Fri 13-Sep-13 17:28:12

Kloeina, I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter. I've also lost a baby and understand some of what you're going through. What I would say is that it is in that situation it is very attractive to have someone to blame, that you can direct all your anger at. Rather than being faced with anger that has nowhere to go that makes you want to scream at the universe for taking your daughter from you.

Kloenina Fri 13-Sep-13 18:11:21

No I wasn't offered amniocentesis or CVS, They told me that everything is fine and the baby is healthy.

Kloenina Fri 13-Sep-13 18:38:19

No I wasn't offered amniocentesis or CVS, they told me that the baby was healthy.

RedHelenB Fri 13-Sep-13 19:12:05

K - I think Spina bifida & very apparent defects ( dwafism for eg ) can be picked up & sometimes things like claft lips ( though not in the case of my dd)

Did you feel that you got enough support from the hospital when you had your baby?

JustinBsMum Fri 13-Sep-13 23:12:58

Perhaps you could speak to your GP and ask them if they could enquire as to whether chromosomal abnormalities can be seen on a scan, just to put your mind at rest.

It would be fairer to check your facts before you write to complain about the sonographer. It might be that your baby's health problems produced no visible abnormalities.

There are literally thousands of chromosomal disorders and single gene defects that cannot be detected by ultrasound and in fact are still often not diagnosed during life, despite a person have multiple and complex disabilities. My son is one of them. Science, especially genetics, is young.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now