Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

emails as evidence

(5 Posts)
freddy05 Thu 05-Sep-13 21:00:05

does anyone know if emails can be used as evidence with the police.

I was assaulted by someone I know a few months back and I've been thinking about talking to the police but the only evidence I have is an email where he admits assaulting me. I didn't go to hospital at the time so I know there is little chance the police can do anything but I'm curious if the email might be any use.

thanks

Mogz Fri 06-Sep-13 06:25:11

Yes, it's written correspondence and should therefore be taken in to account, as can text messages and posts on social media.
I hope you're ok.

freddy05 Fri 06-Sep-13 17:19:11

thanks Mogz

I'm ok, just not moving past it all really and I think that's because I've just accepted it rather than stood up for myself if that makes sense. I think I might call 101 and ask their advice.

OhDearNigel Sat 07-Sep-13 23:10:18

Yes.
Also text messages, facebook screenshots/messages and any other form of communication

Mogz Sun 08-Sep-13 10:21:25

Good idea about getting some professional advice, working through a past trauma can take time and courage, but I expect the police and justice system at large are aware that sometimes it takes time before we are able to confront these things in a structured manner and get them dealt with, so you should be able to access the support you need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now