Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Changing solicitors

(4 Posts)
ProtectiveMother Thu 29-Aug-13 20:53:21

I have already instructed my solicitor that I'm leaving. I have good reasons for doing so. Yes I am on legal aid. It is doubtful as to whether I'll find a suitable new solicitor before proposed hearing on Fri 6. Not sure if better to inform the court now that I would like an adjournment as I am without a solicitor so that I can find someone decent or try to find someone quickly (have 2 appts scheduled for Tues & Wed.). Surely though these would be too late in the day for an application to adjourn?

Thanks anyone for your help :-)

ProtectiveMother Thu 29-Aug-13 20:52:49

I have already instructed my solicitor that I'm leaving. I have good reasons for doing so. Yes I am on legal aid. It is doubtful as to whether I'll find a suitable new solicitor before proposed hearing on Fri 6. Not sure if better to inform the court now that I would like an adjournment as I am without a solicitor so that I can find someone decent or try to find someone quickly (have 2 appts scheduled for Tues & Wed.). Surely though these would be too late in the day for an application to adjourn?

Thanks anyone for your help :-)

fuckwittery Wed 28-Aug-13 23:21:02

Yes, but you may not get more time from the court to find a new one, suggest you find a new one before disinstructing your old. If it is a transfer of legal aid you'll have trouble finding a new solicitor to take on a transfer, and there will be a delay in getting the certificate delayed but the court / other party(s) may not be willing to adjourn proceedings.
If you are privately paying you'll need to pay your bill in full with your old solicitor before they will transfer the file to your new solicitors.

ProtectiveMother Wed 28-Aug-13 22:12:32

Hi

If I want to change solicitors, I just let my solicitor know, let the court know and then go about asking the court for more time before my hearing to ffind a new one? Is this right? Any information welcome as I don't know the legal side of things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now