Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

Convicted sex offender abroad

(6 Posts)
Footle Fri 19-Jul-13 09:13:58

Caja, I don't think there's any reason why I shouldn't say where the osteopath is. He's in Spain.

Footle Fri 19-Jul-13 00:08:44

Thanks babyb, I think I'll do that if he wants me to. Son is also abroad , elsewhere. The Osteopathic council was a bit of a chocolate teapot when it happened, but times have changed. I hope.

babybarrister Thu 18-Jul-13 21:22:23

You will have to inform the disciplinary body of the other EU state. I would rather suspect that they would be interested as most regulatory bodies would ask about convictions in general ... Why not contact the UK osteopaths body and ask them for assistance?

CajaDeLaMemoria Thu 18-Jul-13 20:11:19

So the legal process here has completed?

There may be a way that you can contact the country abroad and alert them to his conviction, but it may be that the laws of the country/registration as an osteopath there mean his conviction is irrelevant. It's difficult to advise without knowing the country.

While I admire the way your son has responded, it may be worth getting him further help to deal with the way that the legal process concluded. Clearly your son feels like it was inadequate, and it may be that he struggles to come to terms with not being able to do anything else. Talking about it with a therapist could avoid the temptation for outing him online or any type of vigilante action, which although understandable, could get your son into trouble.

sorry, there may be absolutely nothing you can do. It depends on the rules of that country regarding registration.

Footle Thu 18-Jul-13 20:05:41

More than a decade ago my then early-teenage son was sexually assaulted by an osteopath in the UK. The man was found guilty and sentenced to 9 months suspended, with 5 years on the sex offenders' register ( which has now expired, obviously ). Osteopaths were re-registering under new regulations at the time, and he did not pursue his re-registration. He emigrated to another EU country. My son was seriously affected by the incident and by the court case , which he dealt with brilliantly at the time. His view was "Somebody's got to stop him, and it seems like it's me ".

My son has now found the website of the osteopath, who is continuing to practice in his adopted country. My son is thinking of taking action to stop this man practicing. If he decides to, what is the best way ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now