Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

Question about tenancy agreement

(6 Posts)
HHH3 Tue 16-Jul-13 19:08:56

My flat is privately rented. Originally it was rented directly from the landlady but as she now spends a lot of time overseas she now has an agency doing everything on her behalf.

When we first moved in I signed a 6 month contract and after that it became a 1 month rolling contract (is that what it's called?). But since the agency have taken over they've asked me a couple of times to sign a new 6 month contract. Both times I've refused and after checking with the landlady they've been happy with that.

They're doing an inspection on Thursday and said in the email that there'd be something for me to sign. I've never had to sign anything at an inspection before and I'm wondering if they're going to ask me to sign a 6 month contract again (it's the right sort of time of year for it),

So I just wanted to double check that I can definitely refuse to sign it. I now have another child and as this is a tiny 2 bedroom flat I'm actually hoping to move before Christmas so I really don't want to lock myself into something. Previously I've refused over the phone and am a bit nervous of refusing face to face.

TIA

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 16-Jul-13 19:10:41

You don't have to sign a new six month contract. You don't even have to let them do an inspection.

LIZS Tue 16-Jul-13 19:12:13

Unless the terms are changing (rent increase for example) then the original AST can roll on indefinitely.

HHH3 Tue 16-Jul-13 19:15:59

Thank-you so much! I don't mind them doing the odd inspection. Don't always agree to them but usually do.

As long as I don't have to sign anything I can stop worrying (they haven't mentioned anything about any changes).

OldLadyKnowsNothing Tue 16-Jul-13 19:26:11

If they pressure you, tell them to leave the document with you and you'll study it more closely. Then "forget" for a while...

HHH3 Tue 16-Jul-13 19:32:43

I'll do that. Thank-you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now