Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Will writing - are we being ripped off?

(33 Posts)
HootShoot Mon 24-Jun-13 15:16:11

Just had someone round to talk to us about a will. We ended up agreeing to a mirror and some additional trusts. If I die my share of the house and my life policies will go into trust to protect our daughters inheritance and vice versa with my husband. The price rocketed from £180 to £650 to reflect this but im worried this is too much to charge. I can't find any reviews online for this company and they arent part of any professional bodies which makes me nervous.

wonkylegs Tue 25-Jun-13 22:58:58

We used a rather expensive solicitors for quite complicated wills (for various reasons) and they cost £400.
The executor & change in price def rings the run away type bells!

DeepPurple Wed 26-Jun-13 01:39:18

Mumble, thanks for the advice but it's not property that's the concern. If DH were to die in the UAE then our DD would be taken from me and given to the state until DH's DF car to take responsibility for her. All funds within the UAE would also be frozen and given to his DF!

The will stipulates a guardian who is a close family friend, once through probate she would be passed back to me and all UAE funds would be released back to me.

Our UK wills cover property and funds in the UK and offshore.

I don't need a UAE will as DD would be given to DH immediately, along with funds etc.

We also needed to stipulate another guardian should anything happen to both of us.

Costly and hopefully a waste of money!

mumblechum1 Wed 26-Jun-13 07:39:36

DeepPurple, all the best in the UAE!

fancyanamechange Fri 28-Jun-13 21:11:47

corlan - bit risky to wait until November to write your will(s).

says she who was intestate for half a century

FadBook Fri 28-Jun-13 21:26:27

Didn't know about mumblechum but will remember if anyone asks

I did the Willaid thing last November, was a good rate and I feel a proper adult now I have a Will wink

newbiefrugalgal Sun 30-Jun-13 09:33:13

Ok no will here (naughty I know)
Have uk property (2) and a uk business.
Moving back to oz (permantly) where have property shortly.
Should I wait til back in oz to do a will or should I do one here now that will cover oz?
Will still keep uk business and properties

mumblechum1 Sun 30-Jun-13 12:32:19

Newbie, you will need two wills if you own property in two jurisdictions.

So as your domicile sounds as though it'll be Australia, your Australian Will will cover all of your assets anywhere in the world except bricks & mortar/land outside Australia.

You also need a separate English will to cover your properties and business in England and Wales (or a Scottish will if they're in Scotland). The reason I think the UK business should also be covered by the English Will is for ease of administration, and because that business may at some point own property in the UK in its own right.

The crucial thing when giving your instructions is that both lawyers know about the other will, as they need to specifically state that they are not revoking one another, but running in parallel.

spanglekitten Tue 09-Jul-13 11:56:27

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now