Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

Paying rent after moving out and 2 months before end of tenancy - where do I stand please?

(3 Posts)
akaWisey Sat 25-May-13 21:33:12

I am two months before the end of a year tenancy agreement. I've had to move for personal reasons.

LL is saying she wants me to pay rent until the end of the tenancy or until she re-lets the property. In 6 weeks there have been two viewings and no takers. It's an expensive rental.
I suggested I don't pay next months rent and she keep the deposit which is more than a months rent and I have not damaged the property - in fact I had the garden landscaped as it was so awful.

Where do I stand on this? She said no to my suggestion.

PatriciaHolm Sat 25-May-13 21:57:43

I don't believe she's allowed to take to deposit as rent, assuming she's put the deposit in a deposit scheme as legally required. So you can't insist she does it I'm afraid.

Collaborate Sat 25-May-13 22:45:47

You could ask her to agree to end the tenancy early on the basis that she takes the deposit in lieu I suppose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now