Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious legal concerns, we would suggest you consult a lawyer.

Name Change by Deed Poll: Logistics

(5 Posts)
alepetrucci Fri 24-May-13 17:10:43

There's no required order that you should follow, according to the deed poll website — just do it in the order that suits you the best.

But it'll help with banks to change either your passport or driving licence beforehand, as proof of ID.

MrsBertMacklin Fri 24-May-13 11:18:04

Hoppus thanks, I'll add them to the list.

Mendi Why am I not surprised about the Land Registry... thanks for confirming my suspicions.

MisselthwaiteManor Fri 24-May-13 10:16:06

I also told HMRC and tax credits. And things like work and doctors/dentists.

Mendi Fri 24-May-13 10:10:45

I just did mine as I went along - when I got a bill in the old name I'd contact that organisation and change it.

Land Registry will take ages as you have to fill in various forms to get the register updated. I only discovered this when remortgaging and it was a royal PITA. Even though I am a solicitor, I had to get one of my real estate colleagues to deal with it in the end. So make sure you do that well in advance of needing to progress any transaction affecting your property.

MrsBertMacklin Thu 23-May-13 19:17:42

Which agencies/organisations do I need to get my name changed with first, after I get my deed poll documents - I think it's:

driving licence
electoral roll
passport
bank account
land registry
utility/council tax bills
random other stuff I'll remember as it arises

Is that about right?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now